Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringray 5 vs. Ibanez BTB1005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 4, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    If I get another bass, it will be between these two.

I play rock/metal/punk music. There really is no defined style or sound (to me) for the styles I listed...Fear factory has the one of the heaviest metal sounds and I cant hear the bass much at all. Personall I like it bright and punchy, a nice slap sound is a must. I could care less about string spacing-

I don't even know if there is a comparison between these two basses, but if there is, I would like to know some more. In the end its all up to me, but it all helps :)

Ibanez basses have been crapped on by the industry's reviews, and Music man has been hailed.

Rumor has it the BTB prestige is a nice bass.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Musicman... bleh

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I would go for the Ibanez... but I'm sure MM have better resale value.

4. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I like the finish better on the ibanez.

I have the guitar center empolyees talked down to $1000 on both.

Now I just have to go in and try them out.

I tried the ibanez, and liked it. Never played the stingray, but played a sterling.

I loved the wood on the ibanez, something just made me keep coming back to it. The 18 volt preamp is cool too.

I really dont want to ever sell this bass, I want this one to last.

thanks for the info

5. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    for slap play you really can't beat a stingray for the price. Ibanez usually have some appealing features for the price but they cut corners in certain areas to embellish other areas.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are not many Ibanez' that I would put above a Stingray, and I'm not 100% sure I would the BTB1005, but it does have a better B string, and better tonal flexibility as well.

But, this is an apples and orange comparison, really.

Like oo0o00o0oo said, though, the Ibanez would have poor resale value, so make sure you want to keep it if you buy it.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The asymmetrical neck profile on the BTB is really nice but the whole bass just seems too...inert...for a $1000+ instrument. My Peavey Cirrus fretless 5 has a gorgeous, full, singing tone, even unplugged, but the 3 BTB's I've tried just sort of go "Blonk" when i plucked them. Not as resonant as the Music Man or the Pedullas in that price range...Maybe it's those funky zebra strings...

8. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Those blue strings that come on the BTB1005 kick ass!

I love them to death.

Does anyone know where you can buy them?

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Imagine you have 1k in your back pocket and AB them.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just got myself a BTB, and damn, its well worth the money! Id get them over a stingray ANY day.

11. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Angus:

Did you get the BTB1005 prestige model? Or did you get one of the newer, less expensive ones?

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont think very highly of ibanez bass guitars. but if i absolutly had to get one it would be the btb series. I myself would go with the MM, i think they have a much deeper and better tone than the ibanez do. Just play them both as often as you can for as long as you can. And let your ears be the judge.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Metalliod,

I got the BTB405QM. Ive played both the BTB505 and BTB1005, but i went with the least expensive one anyway. Why? They all sound the same, give or take a little. 505 and 1005 are almost exactly identical (the maple veneers on the 1005 dont really do anything for tone because theyre thin), whereas the 405 is my fav wood combination in production basses (alder/maple), and its a bit brighter than the other two. Plus, it has a hard finish, which i prefer.

I was going to get a 1005, but i can get two 405s for about the same price as a 1005, so i went with that. Cant go wrong either way, but if i were you, id just get the 405 and save $400 to put towards something else.

14. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Cassanova:

You seem to be the only one with that opinion...The BTB series seem to be a good value.

Any particular reasons???

I might have possibly posted the ad when Ibanez fans were on or something, I too expcted a totally different response. It appears like you play the $3000 pedulla's and laklands and what not.

But in the end, its up to me, so I think I will go with the $500 BTB!!!!

Thanks for the input though

Also:

Someone mentioned a difference in the neck, or string spacing in the BTB's...What's the difference?

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    MeTTaLLoid,

mind you, and everyone else, i HATE ibanez! But they make 1 good bass.

As for the neck, the 505 and 1005 have an asymmetrical neck, 5pc (maple/bubinga/m/b/m) neck, and 3/4" spacing at the bridge(s).

The 405s is symmetrical, but the rest is the same. The neck feels barely different from the 505 and 1005. Best go with the 405.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Angus, how thin is the profile on the BTB400 series?

As thin as the SRs?

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nope, not as thin, but the neck is way more stable! Its pretty average, actually. Its a C profile (this is without me looking at it right now), but its a little thinner than my Modulus, which is a flattened C. Its a pretty good neck.