1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stringray body styles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew311, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Andrew311

Andrew311

Aug 13, 2009
    Hutchinson, MN
    Hey all,

I kind of interested in getting a 4 string Stringray to mess around with. I really like the kind of....."cut away pointy" body style show in the picture of the 5 string, but I can't find any 4 strings with that body style. Do they only make bodies like that for 5 strings? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes the sculpted body is only for the 5 strings.

3. Musicman were innovative back in the day as they were AFAIK one of the first manufacturers to make their 5 strings distinctly different to cope with the demands of the extra string, as opposed to their contemporaries who simply squeezed an extra string on their existing models. The downside of that is that if you want the features of a 5 on a 4, or a 4 on a 5 (until the new classics) you were out of luck.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The body design and pickguard was first used on their Silhouette guitar, and then shortly right after used on the SR5.
    These two instruments were their first new designs after buying the company in 84.