Stringray HH always this harsh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Test it in the mix. I have a mid heavy and harsh sounding bass which I hated it but when I tested it in the mix, that was amazingly good. I named the Bass "KATANA".

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    DTRN and bassballs27 like this.
  2. There's clearly something wrong with the 4 string. It sounds doubled... like the signal goes through the preamp and also bypasses the preamp, so you're getting a mix of both together in a weird way. and the non-preamp sound would be much more middy, so that jives.

Either way, it's broken. Clearly. does not sound correct at all.

3. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Agreed, I saw this thread posted yesterday but I didn't have the chance to listen to the clip until now. I have an SR4 HH in my hands right now and it sounds waaayy different than that clip. Something is messed up with that bass.

dkelley likes this.
  4. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    I went ahead and took some pictures on the inside of this to confirm the wiring was correct.

I really can't make heads or tails of it at this time. 20210720_012018.jpg 20210720_012036.jpg 20210720_012018.jpg 20210720_012036.jpg

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yours is an EBMM SR4 HH, not the Ray34 version. There's nothing wrong with his bass, it sounds just like the comparison video that I've posted. It just happens to be the tone the OP is not fond of. Simple as that.

N4860 likes this.
  6. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Doesn't matter. The bridge pickup on my Sterling HH should sound like the bridge pickup on my Sterling 5 string, assuming they are both wired in parallel. They don't sound the same at all.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Sure, technically it should if the preamps were identical. They're not though, and certain different components and preamp design are affecting the tone. They might have had preamp revisions too, who knows. There have been changes in the Ray3x series throughout the years, so again, it's possible. You can always contact SBMM and ask.

8. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Well the cheaper basses don't sound like this and the more expensive US basses don't sound like this. Seems like a design flaw for the new Ray34HH models.

mouthmw likes this.
  9. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Well I contacted Sterling by Music Man to ask them a few questions and they told me this, which answers a big question:
    8y768y7t6.jpg

mouthmw, auvkey, MattZilla and 3 others like this.
  10. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    A second request to try lowering the pickups. Strings too close to the poles can cause that chorusing effect.

11. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    So after a day of research, I decided to rewire the bass from series to all parallel. A few hours ago I had to design the new circuit because I couldn't find anything online. I just got done wiring.

Tapping on the magnets reveals that I definitely screwed something up, but honestly the bass in every position sounds better now so I might just leave it how it is. The main thing is that the bridge pickup sounds great now, and I no longer get that annoying honking midrange (except maybe in the neck pup, which I kinda like)

I'll go ahead and upload me sketches and clip for you guys. I tapped on the bass to indicate switch position from 5 (bridge) to 1 (neck). I even played the same dumb Rush bassline.

ihbyiuhkuikj.jpg

12. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    lol I forgot a white ground wire and to tape off the black ground wire coming from the preamp. Silly me. Everything is working as intended.

Giffro, mouthmw and auvkey like this.
  13. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Well done for working things out...the sign of a thinking man's bass player.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021