Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

StringRay or Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sam0329, Nov 25, 2002.

1. hi all,
    I wonder is Sterling better than StringRay since it cost more.. or any opinion on these two basses? How to use the switch on the Sterling? Thanks

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Not Better, just different: The Sterling has a pickup switch for series/parallel/single coil operation while the StingRay pickup is wired in parallel. The Sterling has a special pickup with a hidden 3rd coil to allow a humless single coil operation, the StingRay obviously doesn't need this. This is the main difference that raises the price.

Other differences:
    StingRay has a wider body and neck which means 't's a little bit more heavy. The SR neck is wider.

Both basses are great instruments but I prefer the StingRay.

hope this helps
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    if you have a chance.. try the Musicman Sabre.. i love those alot more than Stingrays or Sterlings..

4. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    I'll second that. Each model has different feel and finer differences in sound -- the greater low end impact of the Stingray suits me better.

You probably won't know if you have a strong preference for one over the other without trying them both.

5. will I be albe to make the Sterling sounds like a StringRay? How close are they ?

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    You can get the Sterling to sound like a Stingray easy... IMHO

DM

7. would you mind to share how? Like the adjustment and setting on the Sterling... thanks

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    They can sound pretty close, but not the same. neither the pickups nor the preamps are the same in both basses, hence the tone differences.
    The StingRay pickup has alnico while the Sterling (and 5 string StingRays nowadays) have ceramic.
    Other factors like body and neck mass can contribute to the tonal variations.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Sterling and SR5 pickups are slightly farther from the bridge than the SR4, too.

10. Sterlings and Stingrays are different, but, Vive la difference! I myself like Stingrays better, but, any spare cash would go to a nice new Sterling.

When push comes to shove, a 'Ray has a slightly fatter and chunkier sound than a Sterling, but, the Sterling has 3 different pickup modes for the player to begin experimenting with.

If you want to get a Stingray to sound close to the sound of a vintage Jazz bass, try setting your 3 band EQ like this:

Bass - 7
    Mids - 4
    Treble - 4 or 5

Play just in front of the pickup and you'll get a pretty convincing Fender Jazz bass tone.

'Rays are it, man! :)