1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings-a-rollin'

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by PappaK, Nov 7, 2010.

1. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Markley
    A question from a newbie...

I just got my first upright two weeks ago and have really been enjoying it. It came with brand new Evah Pirazzi Weichs - which I picked based on researching the (many many) threads on this site.

I play jump blues/old R&B, pizz only.

Today, I noticed the "A" string was rolling a fair amount under my plucking finger. The other strings are fine.

What would cause this? Is it a defect? Just asking because it's not as comfortable to play... and I understand strings should last quite a while.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. It seems to be a synthetic string thing. My Evah mediums do the same thing and they're several years old, have been off and on numerous basses, and many other things that help kill strings. I doubt you have a problem.

3. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Those string are kind of "made that way". It's the reason why I like them... Obligato string does the same, but even more. That way I find them easier to bow, but that's me.

Those string made in a similar way that gut's string are made (they try to make a string that emulate the gut's sound) They have a core made from a new synthetic fiber that Pirastro recently developed, wound with a polished chrome steel... (Taken from a website.)
    Hope this help.

4. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Well thanks so much for the feedback.

KungFu: Mine are only two WEEKS old - as opposed to yours that are two years old. I've only slacked/retightened them a few times for some slight bridge height adjusting.

So it simply sounds as though I need to get used to the feel.

Thanks again!

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I've had Evah regulars and Evah weichs. No rolling at all. Given that the A is the only one that seems to feel that way, it seems something might be up.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Mine certainly roll a bit more than spirocores (which have no discernable roll) but nothing like the Obligati. I honestly don't notice the roll at all unless I pinch a string and give it a twist. Rarely and then barely notice the roll when I'm playing.

7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    How does Rolling effect playing them with a bow?

8. We've talked before on the board about the fact that for some unknown reason the pizz open A seems to always be the most "live" string on a DB. Wolf tones are a good example of that sensitivity. When I was involved in bass brokering I would always take a Spiro Red A string to put on a possible bass purchase. It would tell a few things, but most obvious, the chances of loudness, eveness and ease of playing after some sound post adjustment. So, I would have a bass luthier ( or yourself if you have the tool and some experience) experiment with different sound post settings to pull some energy from the A and spread in evenly to the other strings.

9. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    That's my guess, drurb. I'm looking into it further. My luthier wasn't open yesterday so I'll give him a quick call this morning.

I did exactly as you mentioned (pinched all strings and gave 'em a little twist)... and the A string is significantly more "twisty". So something's up for sure.

The bass is brand new and came set up from a reputable luthier, however I didn't know that there could be multiple soundpost settings. That said, how would the soundpost position affect the "roll" of one string?

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Multiple? The number of soundpost positions is, technically, infinite. ;) PW was talking about the fact that, when played, the way the energy is imparted to the bass could vary from string to string based on the position of the post. It would not cause one string to be more "twisty" than the others under your "pinch test."

11. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I was sitting here trying to think of a response to PW that wouldn't make me sound like such a greenhorn. LOL

You guys are the best. The old saying goes "You learn something new every day". That most definitely applies to TB. :)

12. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    We're here to help! :)

tipjar.

13. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Heheh... thanks... I'll drop a few bucks in that there jar.

Not to go wildly OT... but getting back to the soundpost position: I'm definitely not equipped or experienced enough to play around with that kinda thing, and since it can be adjusted pretty much "infinitely", I assume finding THE spot must be tedious work (slacking the strings, moving the post, retuning, repeat until satisfied)? So do luthiers have a "general" placement (in my case, it pretty much lines up with one of the bridge feet) for new basses (especially for beginners)?.

Oh boy, I can hear you guys thinking "can of worms"!

14. You got it. Since every bass is infinitely different, as is every piece of wood and everything else that makes up a bass you're dealing with infinite possible problems depending on what you want from your bass. My mentor, Red Mitchell, used to set his sound posts by checking the eveness with a VU meter on a tape recorder. I spent over four hours with him one day while he set a post in his Klotz bass.
    Experienced bass luthiers have starting points to begin the process involving tailpiece wire lengthening and shortening and things like extended saddles that can impact feel and sound.
    Do have any Valium? :hyper:

15. PappaK

PappaK

Nov 13, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh boy... so I see it's the beginning of a very long journey... :D