strings abustin'

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by atx, Sep 10, 2003.

1. atx

Sep 10, 2003
    austin, tx
    :bawl: i can't keep strings on my brand new the last week i've gone through 1 e and 2 a's. i play hard but these are BASS strings and the low ones to boot. the same thing happened to my first bass(a cheap peavey) and i was told it was a burr on the bridge. is that what's happened to my new bass. if so what's a diy way to repair it. i play with a pick most of the time(downstrokes too, mostly) does that have something to do with this problem. i hope not.i've got a gig on monday and i'm worried not to mention strings are more money than i can afford. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
  2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Well I'm obviously not Watt - but when you say you play hard, mostly downstrokes with a pick, that is exactly how I used to play some years back, and I busted A LOT of strings, even almost new ones...

Of course you should first check - like I did - that there are no burrs or sharp edges anywhere on bridge or nut, and that the strings are not pinched in their slots anywhere. But for me the only way out was to ease up on my playing style.

As for the gig on monday: Bring a backup bass if you can. I always do no matter what, and back then I often had to use it.

Where do your strings snap?
  3. atx

Sep 10, 2003
    austin, tx
    thanks for the reply erik ||. the strings always bust just before or on the bridge. guess i'm just playing a little to hard but i'll be sure to give the bridge a good look. thanks again man, this forum is real cool, I don't know many 4 stringers.
  4. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I remember seeing Watt @ the Orpheum in Tampa. He broke I believe the a or d string and he kept playing and he still sounded great. It was cool to seeing going crazy on the bass with no a string.
    I just thought I'd share that.
    He plays HARD with his fingers.

Mike, when are playing in Tampa again?
  5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thank you much - I'll be back your way in the spring on my next full-on watt tour.

attack has a lot to do w/how long strings last but so does the condition of the saddles in your bridge. check out for burrs and wear - things that'll notch and weaken the string. usually when I break one string, I know the others will be going soon too so I usually change mine in by the set. I use econo ones, Ernie Ball 50-70-85-105 (heavier cuz of the short scale on the little gibson eb-3) at about $15/set at chit-hard center. when I use a pick w/the minutemen, I broke a lot more. sometimes I do keep going, especially if the tune just has to wail away. I've learned to change strings pretty fast through the years.

on bass, watt