strings again!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by oldtime girl, Feb 7, 2002.

1. This has probably been discussed before, so pardon my redundancy, but i'm new to the forum. I play bass in old-time music, and have an old german bass. I'd like some recommendations on strings, what people out there like for old-time or bluegrass. I have the regular old supernil nylons on mine, but not sure i like them. They're easy on the fingers, but sound kind of 'muddy'? Any suggestions?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Do you play both pizz and arco?
    What kind of sound do you want?
    Bright? Dark?
    Short thump?
    Low tension?
  3. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Old Time Girl:

If your old German bass is plywood.....many bluegrass bass players use Spirocore Weich (soft) on their plywoods. They last a long time and are easy to play if you have a light touch. As an option you could use wound guts (Pirastro Oliv's, Labella, Golden Spiral) on the G and D with the Weichs on the A and E. This combination should give you a real solid, full, sound on your plywood.
    I am using the Oliv and Weich combination on my old King plywood for bluegrass, old time and fiddle music and they sound great. Your sound post has to be in the right spot though...and a good quality bridge will also help.

I have used the Obligato's but they seem to go dead quickly and then have a very plastic sound on a plywood. I also found the Innovation solid core G is quite good but the D is quite high tension and not as responsive. Don't know about the Innovation A and E.

Helicore Medium Pizz may also work but I found that you get more of the sound of the string than the bass, compared to the Weichs. It all depends on the bass though.

Good luck in your search.

Martin Chapman.
  4. thanks for the replies about strings. i guess i need to try several and see what works best on my bass. there are so many options, its hard to decide what to try! keep the suggestions coming.....
  5. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I play in a folk group that plays some old-time mountain tunes. I tried Corelli Forte TX, and am currently trying Thomastik Spirocore Weichs. Both are light and easy on the hands with a good tone. In fact, I found them to be fairly similar. The Spirocores have longer sustain, and the finish on the strings is smoother, but the Corellis are easier on the wallet.