1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings, and buzz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sikjw1305, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sikjw1305

sikjw1305

May 21, 2012
    NJ
    Hi

Im just a regular guy who loves playing bass

I currently have MIM standard jazz bass,

and I like this bass

My problem is that when I play, strings feel very

loose and floppy.

Especially there is a lot of fret buzzes and E string always

hits back the fret when i play low frets.

Is it a problem of the bass?

or should i just restring bass with high gauge/tension strings?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When was the last time you had a setup?
    What strings are you using now?
    How old are they?

3. ImTheARSonist

ImTheARSonist

May 17, 2011
    Strings can definitely help but you need a setup, my man! It can be a relatively inexpensive service that you can have a local repair shop do(make sure it's a trustworthy place!). If you want to a)save money and b) feel a little closer to your instrument and the way it works, try doing it yourself. If you decide to do it on your own, make sure you read and watch tons of videos and maybe test it out on a cheaper, less important instrument if you have one laying around. Don't want you wrecking anything you like! Just a little tech tip from me is do the setup with your existing strings in place because the tension has already settled. When your ready, change strings to the same gauge. Let them settle for a few days and then make any minor changes necessary.

Read up and have fun!

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/