Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings and EMG Pups

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 11, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If you play or played with EMG pups on your bass what strings do you prefer, I never owned an active bass let alone a bass with EMG pups and I just got a Spector so I am having trouble determining what strings to get. Help......

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Didn't you already post a thread asking pretty much the same thing? I mean, Spector Re-Bops come stock with EMGs...but I guess there are other basses out there like the Modulus that has some wicked EMG-40DCs in them...anyway, I reiterate, try the D'Addarios. Our contact Spector and try out their strings perhaps...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WEll, with mine i dont have much selection because i have to use double balled strings bc its headless.... but i use Steinbergers.

4. My Godin has EMGs and I string it with D'Addario XLs. Sounds great.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    thanks!

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm about to get my trusted Rotosund Swing 66s installed on both my Spectors!

Ironically, the last time I was looking for 5 string sets of strings all I could get were Warwick - which were OK, but the intonation was very difficult to get right!

Finally I have acquired enough sets of Rotos to have both basses done and have spare sets!

Previosuly used Rotos on other active basses wit good results!

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yeh, I definitly suggest the Slowounds from D'Addario...upgrade and intonation is done, check out my story...

EMG 40DC upgrade

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have Roto's on it now, I like Roto's a lot I play em on my Rick, but im not 100% happy with them on my Spector. I'm thinking of trying the D'addarios slow wounds or DR lowriders.

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    SLOWOUNDS :bassist:

SLOWOUNDS:bassist:

SLOWOUNDS:bassist:

Nuff said...

:D

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm taking you up on that RevGroove!

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    That's my string for life now, unless/until something better comes along!:)

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Let us know if that day happens, I will be getting slowwounds this weekend.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    RevGroove...help! Can't find Slowwounds in Detroit I've been told they don't retail them anymore.

14. I have 2 basses with EMG pickups: a Modulus Q6 and a Fender/Warmoth P. I've used Thomastik-Infeld flats, Fender flats, D'Addario Slowounds, D'Addario XL, D'Addario Halfrounds, Elixr Polywebs and DR Sunbeams. (I've tried a few others but didn't keep them on long) They all sound good. It really depends what sound you're looking for. Right now I have DR Sunbeams on the Modulus and TI flats on the Fender.

The Slowounds would be a great one to start with. You could get them on www.juststrings.com.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    thanks!

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hi Ric, sorry, I've been out of town gigging, and then getting back in the groove of things...

...I'm puzzled...I ordered them to my store in Burlington (Long & McQuade) no problem, so to say they don't retail is puzzling...if you're not able to get them from just strings or elsewhere, I can have them sent to our store in Windsor if you're inclined to make the cross border trip...but I'd check the D'Addario site for a dealer near you first. Who said they don't retail anymore?

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Guitar Center's.....they had one set at one store now gone.

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, won't they order another set or get a transfer in for you or something???

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    They said they can't order slow wounds, I'm checking into other options in my area right now.

20. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You gotta be kidding me!!!

Just let me know, if you want I'll have some sent to the Windsor Long & McQuade if you want...do they carry any other D'Addario strings there, or do they just not deal D'Addario anymore?