1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings and fret buzz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cz93, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Cz93

Cz93

Jan 4, 2009
    do strings with a higher gauge create more fret buzz or do strings with a lighter gauge make more fret buzz? thanks

2. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Fret buzz is relative to your action and overall setup. Lower guage are typically lower tension, so they can flop a little more which could potentially be more of a problem with lower action. But notice how speculative and uncertain all of that is...

3. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    What causes fret buzz, and where on the fb, is complex. But it's probably fair to say lighter strings are more likely to buzz. But buzzing shouldn't decide your string gauge. If you go a step lighter, and they buzz, the bass can be adjusted as needed.

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    You'll get less buzz with heavier strings.
    I'm not sure if you consider it a problem or not. I can be if it's so severe that the notes cut out or become weak. Short of that, I LIKE some buzz. Some buzz can give you a cool aggressive tone and a lot of what you may not like won't be heard through the amp in a band setting.
    I used to be kind fanatical about eliminating fret buzz until I realized a lot of Geddy Lee's, Chris Squire's and Flea's agressive tone included fret buzz. I've watched interviews with Geddy and Flea where they played their basses unplugged and there was TONS of fret buzz.

5. +1. Lighter strings are under less tension when tuned to the same frequency, and they will move more when vibrating. That's my experience.

Roger