1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings anyone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waylon79, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I have a Lakland 55-02, the only strings that I have ever used on it are the Lakland brand in which I have to order off of their website. I tried Elixers one time but because of the 35' neck, the winding on my B string ended in the middle of the first fret. Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions?:meh:

2. Kinda vague, what tone are you after bright and metallic, warm and fuzzy ? Do you prefer nickel or stainless steel ? What is your budget ? Roundwounds or Flatwounds ?

3. Roundwounds, not to bright,i'd like to keep it under $70.

4. Ok I would suggest Nickels as they are alot warmer sounding than Stainless Steel. I would look at:

Ernie Ball Slinkies
    DR Lo- Rider Nickels
    DR Sunbeams

These are just the first 3 that came to mind that you could have a look at.

5. I have a 55-02 that came with Elixirs. I took them off and replaced them with MTD Nickel Custom mediums. I have them strung through the body, and they fit fine. You may have to remove a little of the fuzz at the end, but the wire wrap itself is fine.

I have found these strings to be not only very comfortable, but also extremely accomodating tonally. With the 55-02, I have been able to get a nice, mellow tone as well as a dialed-up, crunchy tone.

They're around $30-35 online, and are also available in Stainless.

6. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    oh... I was going to say DR Long Necks... but they´re bright, and I´m not sure of their price.

They´re the only strings to go on my 55-02. Bright and long-lasting. And long enough to string thru body...

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I use DR coated Xtra life and love them. They are not as bright as high beams out of the package but they stay there for a good while. I believe for 5 string they are around $45

8. actually you can get them at $40.39 at theperfectbass.com or $40.43 at justrings.com
    I was thinking them for my 55-94s. Never tried them myself though.
    The question is, there was one post in the Strings section of the TB saying that DR's were inconsistent: you would get an unperfect string every now and then.

9. Elixir make low Bs in Extra Long Scale. It fits my 35" Schecter fine.

They also make regular 4 string sets in Extra Long Scale.

Put the 2 together and there ya go.

10. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    DR black beauties