Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings are too floppy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Noknok, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    i recently (last week) got a Squire 5-string bass, and personally, i hate the thing. The strings (not just the B) are all way too floppy and buzz whenever i hit a note, the only way i can even play it is if i hit the string softly by the back pickup with the treble all the way off! I would like some tighter strings, i tried raising the action but that didn't help. I just wanted some advice on what type of strings i should buy to get a tighter feel, the tighter the better. i had someone tell me that tight strings on a 5 string puts too much tension on the neck, but he's not exactly a bass player so i wanted your guys' advice.

thanks

2. Check out MTDs or Foderas. Expensive, but the 45-130 sets are as tight and clear as anything on the market.

I don't like how the MTDs wear, though. The Foderas last longer.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    first of all, whomever told you the thing about high tension on a 5 string is an idiot and you shouldn't listen to him. the B isn't the tightest string on your bass.

second, i'd look into getting your bass set up professionally when you get the new strings. some places offer this at a discount when you buy strings from them. it sounds like your bass, even though it's a squire and won't play awesome even if it's set up correctly, is way off in its setup and needs some help.

third, i'd look into some DR Loriders. they can cure almost any floppy B in existance.

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'd return it and get something better than a Squire...

5. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Two things:

First, make sure you have it tuned B-E-A-D-G! If you bought it used, a lot of people like to tune 5-stings down to A-D-G-C-F. If it's tuned down, you're going to have sloppy strings. If that's not the problem....

Two, buy heavier gauge strings. Look for a 5-string set advertised as "heavy" or "extra-heavy" from whichever string maker you like.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Or, some NU-school flats - Rotosound RS77s. If a set of those "Jazz's" won't feel tight, nothing will.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd avoid getting heavy or extra heavy strings if at all possible. You can lose a lot of speed and ease of playing with heavier-gagued strings. Jason's right about getting a setup done. Chances are your bass has been played around the store quite a bit and most music stores don't bother to setup their instruments regularly.