Strings are uncontrollably low on bass build

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amadaras, Sep 6, 2018.

1. amadaras

amadaras

Sep 4, 2018
    So I'm building this bass, my first ever, trying not to get anything messed up, been doing good up to now. It was supposedly the last step, putting on the strings, fine tuning and voilá, but I just then noticed that the strings were far to low, far out of the reach of the bridge settings. My options seem to be: 1. Sanding almost 2mm-s from where the next connects the body, where I have a gap. - might not be enough, or work. 2. Getting a new, higher bridge, maybe. (?) - I don't want to.
    What else may I try?
    Thanks for any help

Bassbeater likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    How about adding a wooden block "riser" underneath the bridge? Shouldn't be too hard but might need longer bridge mounting screws.

BaileyMan and Bassbeater like this.
  3. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Some pictures would be useful to know where there's room for modifications.

You could get more string height by loosening the truss rod to increase the curve in the neck, or by shimming the neck pocket (put some card or thin wood into the headstock-end of the neck pocket to bring the neck forward).

S.P.

Rosin41, Bassbeater and bholder like this.
  4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I suggest to play with the neck angle via shims to make sure it's not something simple before buying more parts or cutting in.

pacojas, Rosin41 and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I agree, a neck shim at the proper angle is a better solution than my suggestion of raising the bridge with a block underneath.

Rosin41 and Bassbeater like this.
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    There shouldn't be a gap. Your issue might be here.
    Also maybe relocate the thread to luthier's corner, there's a ton of experience around there. Even though it's your first build, it's a build. :D
    Good luck!

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Why is there a gap where the neck connects to the body; is this a bolt on? If so drill out the body holes so the screws don't grab the body. Reassemble and try with the strings again.

Matt Liebenau and mech like this.
  8. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

A lot of high mass bridges add a couple of mm.

10. Get any bridge that allows you to rise the whole structure

moneyshot-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  11. From your description, I suspect you need a shim at the end of the pocket away from the body but pictures would be very helpful. I’m also,wondering exactly what you mean by a gap at the pocket.

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pics. Need to see the gap you speak of.

Bassbeater and mech like this.
  13. amadaras

amadaras

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for you all, I may attach a few pictures later on today.
    I've tried shimming the neck, which works fine, however it doesn't look professional at all. And the fine tuning is messed up a bit.
    Thanks

Bassbeater likes this.
  14. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    If you can see the shimming, that's not the solution. Shimming isn't to raise the level of the neck, it's to change the angle with very small pieces of material. Pictures will help everybody give better advice.

96tbird and bholder like this.
  15. bholder likes this.
  16. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    What ends in ".jpg" and is absolutely essential for this thread to have any meaning? ...

Willicious likes this.
  17. amadaras

amadaras

Sep 4, 2018
    This is the minimum shim needed, with the bridge close to the highest position, this causes octaves to be almost a quarter tone high, on all strings but G. Adding another millimeter of shim solves that. IMG_20180911_183342.jpg IMG_20180911_183410.jpg IMG_20180911_183355.jpg

Bassbeater likes this.
  18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    :eek:

mech likes this.
  19. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Can you take that shim out, and lay a straight edge along the frets and show how it falls at the bridge?
    Mostly; can you take that shim out? Please?

20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Ah yeah, you've got the shim in the wrong way around - you want the thick part at the butt end of the neck, not out at the end of the pocket - you want the headstock to angle down, relative to the body and the bridge, not up. That explains why your action and intonation went way off.

mech likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021