1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings Break on the Saddle

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SRCRS, Apr 2, 2013.

1. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    For some my strings always happen to directly on the saddle. Not that it happens terribly often, but when it does happen they always break on the saddle. i examined the saddles a couple times, they seem smooth. So I was wondering if this is just a typical thing, or??

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Are they too high? could be the brake angle is too strong. Can you put up picks of your bridge w/ strings on it?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Break angle being too high, burrs on the saddle, and heavy hard usage are some common reasons why strings break early.

4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Same here...nothing wrong with the saddle, just heavy handed.

6. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Hey!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try to post up some pics soon. I am a bit heavy handed, I maybe?, I don't slap or use a pick at least if I do its rare. I don't believe its an issue with burrs, I had looked/felt for those. I'll get a pic up here soon with the angle.

7. It's never 'burrs,' that's a guitar problem. It's always the core wire that breaks. Since the outer wraps protect the core, 'burrs' have no meaning here.
    +1 to the too-much-break-angle angle.

8. Was constantly breaking my gstring (no jokes, please) on my BB300. I felt around and discovered a burr on it. Fixed with a metal file.

9. Was the core wire breaking, causing the cover wire to unravel?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, I had occasional burrs on a saddle that broke strings, too. It happens to us bass players, too.

11. If you really think about it, you'll see that this just isn't possible.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well humor me here, D...I'm not much in a thinking mood today. Why isn't it possible?

13. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    I did notice that my cover wire is intact, just unraveled.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, well in that case, D's right that it's likely not a burr ;) But I've most certainly had the wrap wires break, too.

15. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Here are the pictures of the bridge from the E string side and the G string side

Attached Files:

16. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    It most likely is NOT a burr but from the pics it looks like your break angle is not too bad either. Break angles are rarely an issue with top-load bridges,,, much more common with string-thru. BUT.... it could be that the groove on the saddle is not sloped down enough before AND after the string breaks. I don't mean at the CENTER of the saddle which gives the string height, I mean where the string STARTS to break over the saddle and where it comes off. If the wind is catching on one of these points, then you are stretching the CORE only and slipping the winds. ALSO... if you nut slots are too tight, the same problem can occur. The slot "Grabs" the winding and only the core gets stretched. Check those issues first.
    I'd also like to know:
    1. What brand/gauge strings are breaking. Construction materials and design could have an effect.
    2. What's the scale length of the bass? 34" or 35?
    3. How is you action set, do you slap a lot, pick or FS?

17. I've just personally never ever seen that, James, ever. Always the core wire, every single time.
    To the OP, no idea. Nothing obvious. Maybe you are just very hard on strings.

18. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Well, the brand usually isn't the same. The strings I was using were Fenders Super 7250's I bought them in August 2011 and strung 'em all up in like December 2012. 34" Scale, and FS. Rarely use a pick like almost never at all. And I don't slap either. The action isn't set too high or too low.

19. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    OK... good info! Check to see that no strings are binding in the nut. Loosen each string and slide it in and out of each slot. If any string is tight, WIDEN the slot (not deepen) slightly with fine (220 - 320) sandpaper so the string doesn't bind, but not so loose where it wiggles. Also check to see that there is no "ridge" where the string sits in the bottom of the nut. If so, smooth it out. Next step would be to replace the saddles with Graph-Tech or milled brass (check Stewart Macdonald, they should have 'em) which wouldn't radically alter tone. Ultimately, you want to create a setup where the string moves as smoothly as possible through the nut and saddle. One step at a time!

20. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks for the info Ian! Looks like I'll be working on my bass a little bit this weekend.