strings do make a difference...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    about two weeks ago I`ve bought daddario pro stells .45-.135 and were really satisfied with them - clear, "piano like", really loud and comfortable.
    i played them through 3 rehersals, but something wasn`t just right - couldn`t tell what, but it seemed that i lost some clarity.
    before them i had old red-labels .40, wich sounded okay, but were really beaten up after 5 or 6 gigs and a whole lot of playing.

back to the daddarios. this weekend the strings, epsecially the low B and E began to sound dead. ok, no prob, i usually clean my string once every week or two wich allows me to use them for a few moths.
    but cleaning (and cleaning again... and cleaning again) them didn`t change ANYTHING. they still sounded even, loud, but somewhat lost that "piano like" tone, and had a flatwound wibe going on, wich is okay, but not for my band, and cerainly not for brand new, stainless, hexcore (can anyone say "lowriders" ?:)strings described as "ultra bright".

i didn`t had any cash left, so bougt some cheapo warwick red labels .45. played for a few hours, and took them to practice.

after the first song i took my earplugs off, because the tone was really strange. after the second song I was completely confused, my bass sounded PROFOUNDLY different. the guitarist is looking at me, the drummer is looking at me. im looking at my bass. "dude, your tone is killer" "yeah, new strings? and i were wonderin` why my g****r sounds so good today"

warwick half the price of daddarios sound twice as good (on MY bass, in MY band, and FOR ME - of course). go figure...

i liked life before that. it was much simplier :D
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    These things happen. I bought an Am. Ser. Jazz earlier this year, and so far, the best sounding strings I've found for it are Carvin nickels. :eyebrow: I've had them on for about five weeks (no big gigs during this time, just practicing and playing in church) and they still sound clean and bright.