1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for ~25" scale length Samick Corsair Mini

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mattpnolan, Jul 27, 2016.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hi, everyone!

I just got a used Samick Corsair Mini bass a couple weeks ago, and I've been struggling a bit with strings and fret buzz.

The strings that came on it seemed to be standard medium bass strings, but I was getting awful fretbuzz on the E string and bad-enough-to-be-annoying buzz on the A string.

I adjusted the neck, but there was only so much I could do, and I couldn't completely fix the issue.

I ordered and installed Piccolo strings, because I wanted to just give them a try, and there is no fretbuzz at all, but I also am not really digging the Piccolo sound and string-feel, really...

So, I'd love to hear recommendations on good strings for this ~25" scale-length baby bass!

Here are my current thoughts/questions:
    1. Thin strings and high tension are obviously the way to go to help avoid fretbuzz. However, it seems like people say Light strings have less tension than Medium strings. So, which would be better to balance the string size and tension? Are there any high-tension light strings that may give the best of both?

2. I read elsewhere that some people buy BEAD strings and tune up to EADG. That sounds like a bad idea due to the tension, but maybe it makes sense if buying very light strings with this small scale length...? Would it work if I got a very light 5-string gauge and only used the low 4 (such as 65-85-105-125)?
    Thank you!!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're misunderstand the terms here. Thin strings are light strings. Light, medium, heavy....these refer to gauges. 45-105 is considered medium. 40-95 is light. 50-110 is heavy. (All generally/approximately. Material and construction affect tension as well). High tension strings are thicker than low tension strings and the scale length affects tension of whatever strings you use. What you need are heavy gauge strings in sub short scale.

Measure from ball end to tuning post and ask Jason at bassstringsonline if he has anything that fits. Here's his contact info:
    About BassStringsOnline.com

3. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Sorry if I was unclear, but I understand Light=thin and Heavy=thick for strings. My question regarding the gauges is due to tension, but you addressed that in confirming that high tension strings are (generally) thicker than low tension strings and that scale length does affect the tension. I think the reason some people said they used BEAD strings and tuned up was to get the thicker strings and then add tension by tuning up.

My only concern with just getting heavy gauge strings is that the thickness may lead to fretbuzz, even if they have reasonable high tension, but I may have to just give it a try.

Anyway, I really appreciate your input. It is very helpful, and I'll see if Jason at bassstringsonline has any recommendations. Thank you!!

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If the bass is set up properly, thicker strings should have less fret buzz.

mbelue likes this.
  5. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I think I may have to take this bass to a professional, but I just question how much they can do. It's just so tiny, that everything is much different than my standard size basses. I'll talk to Jason first and then take it to a professional to get setup after getting the strings, if necessary.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's totally doable. You could also probably do just fine with the stock strings after a thorough set up and maybe an adjustment in your technique.

7. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I wanted to update this thread based on my conversation with Jason at bassstringsonline.com...

Basically, there are no strings that will really work well for the Samick Corsair Mini; it's just too short.

Yes, I could put some strings on it and be "good enough," but I don't really like the idea of fighting with the bass to get something I consider fit to play (i.e. no super floppy strings or bad intonation, et cetera).

Also, the more I played the bass, the less I liked the scale length. It didn't feel like a toy, but it just didn't feel enough "like a bass" to me.

So, I returned it and bought an Ibanez Mikro instead. The Mikro feels like the shortest scale-length that still feels comfortable and like I'm playing a real bass.

The Corsair Mini would have been cool to let my kids play on, but the truth is that I want them to learn piano while their young, for theory, at least, and by the time they decide on another instrument, they will likely be big enough for the Mikro.

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Too late in your case, but should anyone else consider the Samick/Greg Bennett...I believe the following set does fit:
    Original Fernandes BSZ-2000 4 Bass String Set for PIE-ZO Nomad Bass
    s-l500. s-l500 (2). s-l500 (3).
    Made for this one, which has a 3/4" shorter scale than the Corsair Mini, but is strung thru-body as opposed to the MCR-1 which is a top-loader:
    Nomad Bass
    Metalbass.
    EDIT for piccies and additional info: while the bass is marketed under the "Pie-Zo" name in Japan, and is indeed equipped with a piezo pickup (as well as shaped as an elephant - "zō" in Japanese...), the strings themselves are normal roundwounds and work with magnetic pickups, as per @reep (from this post).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    When I had a Corsair Mini, I strung it up with the BEAD of a light gauge 5-string set, tuned to EADG. I believe the B string was around 115-120. I got tons of complements on the sound. I also had a Bartolini pickup in it as well, so that helped. My bass player friends were all surprised by how tight the E was for a short scale.

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Did you have to unravel the strings some? Or did you fit them some other way?

11. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Interesting! Thanks for posting. I don't regret getting a Mikro instead of the Corsair Mini, for my own use. However, it's good to know those strings are out there in case my kids ever really want a smaller bass like the Corsair Mini!

I saw people saying they did that, but it just seemed weird to tune up strings that much and not cause any damage. Sounds like it works, though! Thanks for posting!

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I had the same problem a few years ago; can't find a good set of strings for the Corsair Micro. I think now you could try some Kalium Strings, since they sell .100+ gauge strings for extended range electric guitar.

The thing with tuning BEAD up to EADG is that the tension is already so low on that short of a scale that you're just barely getting those BEAD strings up to a tension similar to a regular short scale bass strung/ tuned EADG.

HaphAsSard and NoNoise like this.
  13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    +1, good call: I seem to remember from other posters that Kalium guitar strings are available up to .145"!
    EDIT: whoa...make that .182"!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    i just got a samick mcr1 (goodwill @ $117 FTW) and it was missing the e. small guitars sells strings for a 25" scale bass that i just ordered. i will let everyone know the results. at the moment i have a clipped 90 gauge on the bass. this is a really light touch instrument. i can bend my octave g up a perfect fourth to c with very little effort and a tritone if i really mean it. even fretting notes can bend out of tune with ease. you have to play right on the frets if you play with a death grip.

15. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Was this ever answered by @domdec314 or anyone else ? There must be enough odd-scale basses out there that there's a solution to this right-gauge-but-wrong-length problem ?

16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Paging @Dominic DeCosa...

17. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    My Corsair is long gone at this point. I really don't remember what I did as far as stringing it up.

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Gotcha. @BigBeatNut: my anthological post on sub-short scalers mag-p.up string options, not all of which have gauges adjusted for the scale (as in having B-gauge E strings) though:
    25.5" bass strings

BigBeatNut likes this.
  19. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Oh, right! Here's something worth adding I forgot:
    I'd give Newtone Strings a call or shoot them an email. Everyone on the forum that uses them (I haven't yet) reports they're super helpful and very accommodating of non-standard string needs (this includes not charging an arm and a leg for small quantity custom orders).

BigBeatNut likes this.
  20. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks. I was thinking more that someone, somewhere, has had to chop off a ball-end and come up with some other end fixing, but any way to avoid that is of course more acceptable.