Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for 35 scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Hi everyone..

I'm new to the low B and just got myfirst 5string bass 3 days ago. (an Ibanez btb405 - which is great btw) It is 35 scale..
    I had checked some 34 and 35 scale 5 & 6 stringers before so I already had experienced the issue of floppiness in the low B..

Well.. I think I almost completely understand the physics involving tension, scale length, pitch, and "tightness", on bass guitars..

Well.. let's dig it..

My 35 scale bass came with strings of heavier gauge than most 34 5 stringers I'had played,.. and the Ibanez instruction manual recommends 35 scale basses -let's say 5 stringers- being strung up with:

G .045
    D .065
    A .085
    E .105
    B .130

while in 34 scale 5stringers:

G .044
    D .063
    A .080
    E .98
    B .121

My question is.. Shouldn't 35 scale basses be strung with the same gauges as a 34 scale? I mean..

I think that using heavier gauges, the properties of the increasement on the scale lenght is less efficient.

lets put it this way..

If you have two basses.. one 34" and another 35" with exactly the same string gauges.. the 35" would need more tension to give the same pitch as the 34 scale, wouldn't it? there fore.. I you have those 2 basses tuned the same, the 35" would feel more tight..

If I'm not clear.. my point is that It seems logic to me that stringing a 35" bass with heavier gauge strings reduces the effect of the larger scale.. So.. I don't see the point on it, and I think I would enjoy much more the benefit of the larger scale with lighter strings on my bass... But before spending on a new set of strings..

Anyone thinks the same or thinks I'm wrong, I would like to read some comments..

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Luis,
    No offense, but I think you are putting too much science into your music. If you like your sound, stick with your current string gauges. If you don't like your sound, try another.
    Doc

3. Hi snyderz..

Not offensed, but the whole explanation I gave was 'cause I'm not sure about something I'm using.. I'm not used to opening threads just to add post to my profile.. I really have a doubt and been wandering about it... So thats why I ask for comments and advices. I think many TB'ers can give me their opinions and tips before I spend cash on something that won't solve my problem ..

Anyway, don't you think that's this forum for?

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    For everyone's information, I'm so not trying to sound like a smartass...

well Luis, I think the problem you're explaining is known as "maufacturer's claim." I recently searched the Ibanez website and Emailed them several times, trying to find what gauge strings I'm "supposed" to use for my bass (I never got a manual for the bass). Point is, most of Ibanez's products are made in foreign sweatshops, (not the most professional work), so the operation is a little shady (meaning I wouldn't trust what very low-wage workers, who have no chance for a different job, say about the products).

My Fender bass came with a manual that gave a bunch of "factory recommended settings" that I really do not like. So I make up my own settings.

I believe I've babbled enough for one evening. But I'm not done yet. hehe.

On the Ibanez website I've found three different string gauges for the same bass, so I don't know which one is "right". BTW, I have a SR405 and I always string it with .045; .065; .080; .100; .130 and I feel this is the best choice for my bass.

Where the manual you have gives the string gauges, thats what they recommend, because (I'm not 100% sure) what they cut the nut to fit.

But as for the whole science of things, to have the same tension on the neck, the 35 inch scale should have the lighter gauged strings, not the 34 scale bass...

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Maybe a smarter person could give us a formula of the relationship between tension, scale, and gauge?

I think that would help a lot.