strings for 6 string bass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Hi,

since i'm new to 6 string bass , i have absolutely no idea what strings i should buy.
    right now i have elixir strings...

check out the link in my signature for a small video i recorded
  2. On my six string bass I have a set of half-rounds. Here are my thoughts:

There is only one string type that offers bassy smoothness and cleanliness while at the same time, when at a very low action, does not buzz but yet can yeild a beautiful contemporary slap tone.

Let me put it this way, the strings I had experimented with before half-rounds were DR low beams (steel roundwounds, medium gauge). They are very nice strings, with great bite, but considering the fact that I can lower my half-rounds much lower than I could lower my DRs without buzz, I could get a similar, but also more controlled bite out of them. And they are supposed to be the hybrid of flats and rounds.

Also, a low action helps with tapping.

That's my bias/2cents.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People can tell you their opinions about strings all day long, but the fact is that the strings I like you may hate, and the strings I hate you may like. You just have to try different sets and once you find one you like, stick with it.
  4. so what strings do you use ? could you give me a link where i can buy them... ?
  5. While you should also look at other strings too, I'll oblige you.

You can go to D'Addario and look under bass, then strings, then half-rounds. From there you can look for dealers in your area that carry them, or more likely, will be willing to order some for you.
  6. are there other strings that you could recommend me ?
  7. I dont mean to jack this thread but...

Who makes a Six string set with these Guages...

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you'll most likely have to order individuals, or at least a 4 string set with a single .120 and .20

My fretless 6 is wearing SIT Rock Brights Stainless (.030 .045 .065 .080 .100 .125) currently. I've used SIT powerflats and D'Addario Half-Rounds on it as well. Once I get my new one I'm gonna try some TI jazz flats and some D'Addario Chromes on this one before choosing which will be the long haul flat string for it.... the new one will wear the SIT Rock Brights Stainless. I think they are my new favorite (D'Addario Pro Steels are a real close second though!!)
  9. I am just telling you what I happen to like on my bass, which happens to have six strings. I don't think there is any real answer to this question besides 'What strings are good for any bass?'

You really should experiment. I've heard good things about ProSteels, and that's one I haven't tried yet.

If you are asking because you can't find any in any music store, then I suggest you either use an online catalog, or you find the website of the string manufacturer, select the strings you want, and get a list of stores in your area that either have in stock, or more likely, will have to order it for you.
  10. i have to buy them online. the stores in my area don't have 6 string sets. other suggestions ?
  11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I play Carvin's brand of Labella on my TRB6 - I really like 'em! Very happy with the string tensions, B string clarity and price!

I've got D'addarios on my fretless 6, they're ok but frankly I think I prefer the Carvins.
  13. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Ken Smith and Fodera

EDIT - Their high C-strings seems to be around .030
  14. these ?

btw does anyone know some good online shops ?
  15. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I just bought a 6 string set of D'addarios Pro Steels from They arrived in just a couple of days (actually, they arrived yesterday. lol). This is the first new set I've bought for this bass (Ibanez SR-506). It had Elixer Nanoweb strings on it stock, but I really didn't like them. The coating fell apart rather quickly and as soon as it did, they immediately lost their tone. :(

I bought the Pro Steels mostly on the basis of some recommendations I've read here and from a friend who uses Pro Steels on his 4 string. I've always used Rotosound Swingbass on my 4 string, but decided to try something different for the 6 string. I think I'll probably experiment with different string sets for a while on the 6. :rolleyes:

Good luck in your search for strings! :bassist:
  16. Guess what i have on my Ibanez BTB 556...? :D
  17. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Do you have the same problem with the coating falling apart? Just curious. I was practicing a lot of sliding type of stuff for a while and I think it may have contributed to it falling apart so rapidly. The funny thing is that people say if you use a pick, it falls apart where you strike the string. I use a pick a lot, and the area I strike is fine, it's where I fret the strings that they fell apart so quickly. Oh well... lol

Good luck!
  18. no...not yet ! :meh: The strings are not bad , but i just want to try different strings