Strings for '62 P-bass reissue?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kareir, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Hey Guys (and gals :p),

Okay, so before christmas i bought myself a 62' P-Bass reissue. Guy was using lots of drop tuning, so has pretty heavy roundwounds on them. They're nice and all, but i prefer a lighter string. Also like the feel of Flats, but never actually used a pair on my own bass.
    I play mostly rocky, alternativey stuff, but wanna get better at slap. I like a bit of high end, so you can hear the bass cut through without being TOO bright, especially on the D and G.
    Any suggestions for strings?

Thanks All,
    _Kar.

2. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Seriously, any input at all would be great.. :meh:

3. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hm, for now I wouldn't recommend flats if you're looking to do some slap. I personally slap on flats on occasion but I prefer the sound of slapped rounds. Just cuts through more, you might want to look into half rounds I think if you want to go near flats. As far as warm but not overly bright, DR nickel sunbeams might be you ticket? You might need a new nut if it's been cut too deep.

4. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    You know, your specification is just too varied - you like flats, you want to work on slap, they have to be bright but not too much.
    Hard to say what you would like.

What gauge is there now? Are you used to 45 gauge?

I would suggest 45 DR Sunbeams nickels. They cut through very well and are gentle to fingers.

5. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I think you should try some strings for yourself and trust your own taste.

6. jmccain

jmccain

Sep 14, 2007
    Agree - and you probably won't like the sound of flats. I'd suggest DR Hi-Beams.

7. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    EXL-165 D'Addarios. Cheap and easy to find. Try some.

8. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Hmm, halfrounds are tempting. Can anyone suggest any good ones? I hear they can feel a little weird? I do quite like the idea of the halfrounds, but how do they work in practise?

I live in ireland, so i kinda have to order online, havnt managed to find any really good local string places.

Currently not sure what gauge or make is on it currently. They're heavy though. On my old bass i have D'Addario prosteel lights, i think.. probably 40-90 or something.

I dont want to order/buy that many, i could probably get 2 sets of "good" strings? Possibly Halfrounds and something else.
    Ideas?

_Kar.

Edit: I Have tried Flats before, on a fretless jazz though. I quite liked them, but they mightn't be as nice on a fretted P.

9. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok, been browsing the web obsessively.
    Gonna go for some Dean Marley Blue Steels, i think.
    I've read some excellent reviews about them, so they seem like a good bet. (if not, please tell me :p)

If they're much thinner than my current ones, can you predict any potential problems? possibly at the nut?

_Kar.

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    DR Nickel Lo-Riders - sound should be similar to Sunbeams but the strigns will be a little stiffer because of the hex core. Personally, I like higher tension strings on P Basses.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021