Strings for a 35" scale 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Muttluk, Dec 27, 2001.

1. As most of you have found out, i'm in the process of aquiring a peavey cirrus 5. It's got a 35" scale, and a B string. Both are new to me. Whats a good set of strings to use on it? What do all of you other Cirrus owners put on yours, or anyone with a 35" 5? Any input is welcome
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rule of thumb is that makers of good basses put strings that they find give excellent performance because they help sell the instrument. But there are exceptions.

Considering your influences, have you tried DR Hi Beams or Rotosound Swing 66's??? Both are rock n' roll animal strings.
  3. Thanks for the tips, i guess i should have added that i prefer nickel strings.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used DR High Beams on my Cirrus 5 and they fit just fine. No problems at all with them being too short. I went through 2 sets of them, and switched back to the Peavey Cirrus strings. The Cirrus strings hold their sound longer, where the DR's seemed to go dead much quicker. And I personally prefer the sound of the Cirrus strings. Your local Peavey dealer will have em.
  5. You wouldnt happen to know the string material or gauges the Cirrus strings are avalible in would you?
  6. htag said...

You have to be extra careful when buying strings
    for a 35" scale bass. Rotos or DRs won't work
    because their usable string length is shorter than
    the scale of the bass.

Saw the disclaimer - I have DR stainless Lo-Riders on my 35" string-through Lakland.

7. Ibanez BTB strings... the blue / silver ones..
    they sound really warm
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I use DR Lo-Riders on my 35" scale DP Custom and they fit fine and sound great.
  9. htag said...

See, Allan? I was dead wrong. You do learn something new every day! How is the B string on a set of DRs?

I think DR may have lengthened their strings a bit. Some of their stainless strings are advertised as fitting up to 37 1/4" scale. I know on my Lakland if I string through the body I have about 1/8" of string past the nut when tuned to pitch.

B string? It's just great. I really like Lo-Riders.

10. Ibanez copper/nickel hybrids ( blue/silver BTB strings )

Warwick yellow labels fit too