1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for a 7 string fanned fret bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Krause, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Krause

Krause

Mar 17, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Hey everyone.

Me and a good friend of mine (who builds custom guitars and basses here in Winnipeg) are designing and building a 7 string fanned fret bass.

My question is what type of strings would be the best for this type of bass. I know Conklin, SIT, Ken Smith, and a couple of other string manufactures make 7 string sets. But would any of these work on a fanned fret bass. Since you have a longer scale length on the low strings, I want to make sure the strings are long enough.

Currently I use DR Lo-riders on my 4 string and I would like to contiue using a hex core string, but DR does not make them in a 7 string set.

To sum up my question what 7 string set, that has a hex core be the best for a fanned fret bass? I know SIT's are hex core but would they work on a fanned fret bass or is there a better brand available.

Thanks in advace for any advice you guys could give me.

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Ask at octave4plus. They'll wind any string gauge in any length.
    I don't know about hex core though.

3. Krause

Krause

Mar 17, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Thanks I will contact them as soon as we work out the scale lenghth we need.