Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a '73 Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tombowlus, Dec 22, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just picked up a '73 Jazz in great shape, and I am really digging it, but I think I need to swap the strings. They are Ernie Ball Extra Slinky's, and in general they sound okay, but they are light guage and low tension, and I just can't get used to them. I am a fingerstyle player, and I'd like a nice balanced sounding string. I generally like SS roundwounds on my other basses, but lately some NPS roundwounds have really sounded nice to me.

Any thoughts on what strings would sound most "authentic" on this bass? And/or any thoughts on strings that might give me a balanced fingerstyle sound on this bass (if different from the "authentic" recommendation)? To my ears, this bass seems to have a lot of high end clarity (ash body, maple board), with a fairly deep low end, but perhaps a tad recessed in the low to middle midrange. The overall tone is great, though, and it sure plays like a dream!

Thanks, Tom.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    D'Addario Slowounds, if you can find them.

3. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    You also have to try D'addario exl. They are very balanced and sound great on my P-Bass and a friends Jazz.

4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I absolutely love DR Sunbeams on my Lakland Osborne. I have tried other strings on it, but I keep coming back to them. They sound great right out of the package. Sweet highs and warm lows. When they lose their initial brightness, they get a really cool, thumpy vibe, while still retaining a decent top end. They are not very high in tension, though, if that is what you are looking for. They pretty much feel like High Beams. Maybe Nickel Low Riders will fit that need...

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I do have a set of Sunbeams on hand, and I was thinking that they might be the ticket.

Tom.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Elixir poly's do it for me on all my jazzes. Been through most DRs, Fenders, Thoms, GHS, Rotos, Daddario, Sadowsky, and many others.

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Tom, I would suggest you give the Labella Deep Talking Series or Hard Rocking Steel a try, both sets sound wonderful on my jazz bass....

8. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you try out the Sunbeams, please let me know what you think. :)

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Great suggestions, guys, thanks!

Jacove, I have a set of Labella Slappers (though I don't slap much, so it's kind of ironic). Are these at all similar to the Deep Talking or Hard Rocking strings?

Ho ho ho, Tom.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I haven't tried the Slappers, but as far as I know they are nickel which might give you a more smooth sound....I play 99% fingerstyle and have found the the Deep Talking and Hard Rockin Steel suits my jazz bass fine. What I especially like with these two sets is that they give you the bite and growl of SS but at the same time a very varm and supportive tone, very much how I like my jazz to sound...The Hard Rocking will be a little more edgy and have more emphasis in the low mids than the deep talking, which is a bit more scooped IMO...Both sets can feel a bit sticky at first, but it goes away pretty fast...my favorite string.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  13. If you want to bring out the 70's funk where those basses really shine IMO, DR Hi Beams will take you straight to 'Marcus land'. If you want to tame things a little bit, for the money, both the Lakland Steel and Nickel roundwounds have much more of a midrange vibe to them that might help even out that aggressive bass. I have not played the DR Nickels, but have heard good things about them.

14. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>Here's my '74 J with LaBella Deep Talkin' rounds. They're ss strings, but fairly dark, tight-ish tension in the medium gauge, and as you can hear they've got great girth.
    http://www3.telus.net/tarkake/Stalker.mp3

w/LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats : http://www3.telus.net/tarkake/STOKE%20-%20Idyll.mp3<<

Nice playing Smash, I really like that drummer's downplayed, groovy shuffle approach on the verses of the 1st track. Most guys would overplay a part like that w/ a cliche hard rockin' Stevie Ray Vaughn type shuffle.

Did you record that in series or parallel? Sounds like series.