1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for a bass with a crack

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    My bass cracked right under the G string foot of the bridge :crying: my luthier fixed it as much as one would fix a $3k bass, but I wanted to know if I should continue to use Eudoxas? or move to something with a little lighter gauge, b/c they already seem pretty low tension and I LOVE the sound I get out of them. So what do all of you think? Also, does anyone know where I can get a drill bit for changing strings?

2. I'm confused about your statement about the $3K price and whether or how to fix it based on the worth of the bass.. Do you mean your luthier was able to cleat the crack through the F holes or something? I wouldn't let the price of the bass stop me from fixing it correctly..Can you explain further?
    Most people make their own string changing bit out of 5 pieces of wood, a metal post and some epoxy. Line the inside with cork to avoid scratching
    But, I think David Gage sells 'em.......