Strings for a crunchy E string/containing the low end

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyFingers, Aug 30, 2020.

1. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Hello,

I used to play an Ibanez that was pretty modern and even sounding which had me go from DR nickel lo-riders -> GHS pressurewounds -> EB Cobalt flats. These worked great as it helped with the brighter modern sound and added some defined lows to my sound. I'm playing an older G&L SB-2 now and it's a different story.

The tone is nice and aggressive but it comes with a LOT more bottom end content. I've been using the EB Cobalt flats and while it sounds good on its own, the defined low end disappears in a recorded mix. For my sound I'm using cutting the highs and lows and boosting the mids as it is, so cutting the lows anymore usually saps the rest of my tone as well. My clean sound is usually slightly overdriven as well which I know makes things a little more difficult.

It's been suggested to me to try some steels but all of the recordings I hear seem to lack the mid range I'm always EQing for. I was thinking about trying the DR nickel lo-riders again b/c I know that have a good midrange growl but it's been so long that I can't remember how loose or defined the low end was. I would like to avoid Rotos as I just haven't had any luck with that brand. The other set I was possibly thinking of try was the D'addario NYXL's which seem to be pretty polarizing with the searching I've done.

Thanks in advance for the help!

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Rotosound Swing Bass 66's should be right up your alley. Very crunchy mids a la Geddy Lee or Chris Squire. :)
    Dunlop Super Bright Nickels have nice crunchy mids to them as well with lower tension if that's what you are looking for?
    Good luck in your tone quest!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

3. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    As far as the Roto's I've tried those in the past and was not happy with them. They were not comfortable to play and the E either died in a day or came dead in the packs I tried. I could never seem to tame the top end either (until they were dead), so I'm looking away from Roto's completely at this point.

Re: Dunlop Super Bright Nickels - I'll have to take a look, but I'm finding myself playing in D standard these days, so I'm not sure if a lower tension string would work for me (unless you are just saying lower tension than the Roto's).

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. You can try the Marcus Miller signature Dunlop Super Brights. More tension than the regular DSBs but less than LoRiders. Good crunch on all strings. Lo Riders are also a great choice, maybe try the stainless steel.

5. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    Since they are so cheap, I just put an order in for the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel's 45-105. I'm definitely still open to suggestions, though.

Did you find that the the steel lo riders and the MM super brights kept more mids than the traditional SS sound?

scuzzy likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 on Dunlop Super Brights.

tindrum, scuzzy, BrentSimons and 3 others like this.
  7. The MM DSBs have more mids than regular DSBs. I'm embarrassed to say I had Nickel Lo Riders and couldn't say I noticed a difference from stainless. Another good choice might be DR Fat Beams.

BrentSimons and HeavyFingers like this.
  8. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    That is interesting about the lo rider nickel vs. SS.
    For the MM DSB do you mean vs. the regular SS DSBs or the nickel DSB's?
    I'll have to look up the DR Fat Beams.

9. Marcus Miller signature (top left hand corner of the packaging) Dunlop Super Brights only come in stainless steel. You have to look for them as the packaging is very similar to regular DSBs. There should be a slight bump up in price for the MMs. The MMs would be 'crunchier' than the DR Fats.
    The nickel and stainless mix up I must own. I recall I placed Lo Riders on my Rick and my Yamaha BB300 but was ignorant of the fact that the packaging was different. I can't recall which bass got the nickels but I recall loving the tone on both basses. I've stayed with SS Lo Riders for the Yamaha. The Rick now sports the MM DSBs.

10. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    Which would you say has the strongest mids content and tightest low end?

11. To answer your question makes me wonder why I love the MM DSBs(?) but - best mids goes to DR LoRiders, tightest low end would be DR Fat Beams. Maybe the MM DSBs do it all well and provide the additional crunch that I love.

12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've tried both regular and MMs and got the impression that MMs are more scooped. they have more lows and a grindy low-mid, but totally no high mids. regular SS superbright shine at high mids though.

HeavyFingers likes this.
  13. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    D'addario stainless steel

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    This video does a pretty good comparison and I actually prefer the nickel here. It's not a complete night and day difference but there are definitely more mids in the nickel set:

Vinny_G and BrentSimons like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I remember having to comb hair like that!

16. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The ears differ, I like the low-mids on stainless steel more, but who cares ?!:laugh:

HeavyFingers likes this.
  17. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Here is an example of Dunlop Super Bright Marcus Miller VS rotosound swing 66
    Screenshot_20200831-183236_YouTube.jpg

18. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    You say you EQ cutting high and low and boosting mids, and you don’t want the bass cut anymore than you are already doing....

So what happens when you just EQ less bass cut in the first place?

Don’t get me wrong I’d take those flats off ASAP, but if you like them otherwise different EQ may be all you need.

HeavyFingers likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Boomers or nano nickels. But, have you tried simply lowering your bass knob? Or, even better, lowering the E node on your pickups? Thats how I do it. It always works out best when you even it out at the source.

HeavyFingers likes this.
  20. HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    If I don't cut the bass as much then it sounds great to me solo ;). Listening back to a mix the bass is filling in all the gaps, but you wouldn't be able to actually pick out any of the notes I was playing on the E string. I've probably been trying to make the EB Cobalt flats work because they are just so damn comfortable and have 0 string noise, but you are probably right.

It's a P/J setup (slanted P to begin with) and I'm pretty sure I already have that end screwed all the way down, I'll double check though. These pickups are super hot so lowering doesn't have as much of an effect as it normally would.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021