1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for a Dano 63 ... flats or rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mastermold, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

When MF started blowing these out I ordered one. Now I'm wondering what strings to use -- flats? Rounds? What kind? Etc.

Any opinions?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Why don't you just play the strings that are on it for a few weeks and then decide? It will probably come strung with some relatively generic middle-of-the-road roundwounds. If you want more zing, get some chrome or stainless steel roundwounds. If you want less zing, get some nickel-plated roundwounds. If you want a lot less zing and more thump, get some flatwounds. If you want more tension, get some thicker strings. If you want less, get some thinner ones. Maybe just start with your favorite strings.

3. Mastermold

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    WOW - those are skinny!

5. Mastermold

Yeah, wonder if they're for the Longhorn. I remember reading Entwistle said those basses had skinny little strings.

6. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Dano 63 and a Danelectro Hodad, both 34" basses. The Dano 63 has the stock strings and the Hodad has some Rotosounds from the previous owner. I want to replace the Rotosounds so I contacted Danelectro to find out what they ship on their basses. I actually am interested in trying flats on the Hodad, so I'll have more variation between the 2 basses. I had heard that the holes on the tuners are small and might not fit all string brands, so I asked them about it.

Here's what they told me:
    "The D'Addario 50 thru 105 round wound set is the set used on both these basses. We assume that the D'Addario flat wounds would be the same size at the tuner end and will fit. The guitar tech says most guys he knows use flatwounds on their Dano's so the D'Addario's should be good for you. You need to get strings that fit a 34" scale bass."

The LaBella Danelectro strings are made for short scale basses, like the Longhorn, so they will NOT fit on the Dano 63. I have not bought a set of flats yet, but if someone has already put some flats on a Dano 63 or Hodad, please report on the brand, size, fit and sound.

You will enjoy your Dano 63. And the stock strings are actually nice.

Willy

7. Mastermold

Thanks, Willy. It just so happens I'm taking my Dano 63 to rehearsal tonight and giggin it this weekend. It still has the stock strings and they're good enough for now. In fact the whole bass has been a lot of fun, it's my first from Danelectro I'm really enjoying it.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW I just now put some TI Jazz flats on my 63, and it sounds awesome.

9. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    They fit fine? Are there different size TI flats? If so, which did you use?

Thanks,
    Will

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    They fit great. Regular long-scale medium gauge. Note that I have the long-scale 63 though, so if you have the short-scale then that's another story. I'd probably recommend LaBellas for that. The only thing that needs changing is the width of the groove in the E string bridge saddle, and I didn't bother with that yet because (a) it's fine as-is for now, and (b) I'm thinking about putting on a different bridge anyway.

11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I love TI Flats, but I would be afraid that the 63 would lose some of that Dano zing if I put flats on it.

Can you describe the sound of your 63 with flats?

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I'm not sure I could use words to describe the tone in a way that would be meaningful to somebody else. It's a new set of TI's too, so the sound may change. I'd say the fingerstyle tone got a bit fatter, with no fret clack. The pickstyle tone is about the same but less buzzy on top. Kind of what you'd expect from flats, except not dull or thumpy at all. Nice sustain. I'm not enough of a Danophile to have any idea about that zing--I just like how it sounds now.

13. Mastermold

I've been thinking about going the opposite route and putting Roto 66s on mine for some real grind! I've got lots of Fenders with TI flats (and other flats) and part of why I wanted a Dano was something different. I'm thinking flats may make it sound too much like what I've already got, sort of defeating the purpose, for me anyway.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've been using the same set of Thomastic JF 344 flat wounds on my Danelectro DC, which is a 34" scale instrument for over 6 years. Sounds fantastic and really makes it a much more useable bass for me. The stock Danelectro rounds that came with the bass were way too zingy, but if that's the type of sound you want, don't get flatwounds. If you like the sound and feel of flatwounds, the Thomastics are the best sounding of all, in my opinion of course. I use them on all my basses and have since they first came on the market.

I owned an original Danelctro Longhorn way back around 1960-my first bass. Did you know, they came from the factory with roundwounds then? Not as bright sounding as current roundwounds are but still pretty twangy. I used that bass for about a year until I got my first "real bass", a brand new 62 Fender P. That's when I first felt like I was playing bass, and not a de-tuned guitar. I'd never go back to a short scale bass.

But my long scale DC is useful to me. For one thing, it's light as a feather and is nice for tossing in a gig bag and taking public transit all over the place without wearing myself out. Great for short notice rehearsals where I don't need to bring an amp. It'll never replace my other main bass these days, a 78 P, but I still can use it a lot for songs where I don't need to support the bottom end as much. I use a little bit of foam muting under the strings at the bridge which helps the sound a lot too. The neck is great to whiz around on and it does have its own distinctive sound. And of course the look of it is something else. The retro kids really get turned on by it. It has a certain cheesy charm.