Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for a Fender Jazz 5 and P-Bass 4?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpuajimi, Apr 11, 2003.

1. harpuajimi

harpuajimi

Apr 9, 2003
    any suggestions :bassist:

jason

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That's a pretty tough question to answer, in large part because we can't tell what you're trying to achieve. I checked your profile, but there's no info there :meh: , so you've got to let us know what music you're playing, the sound you like, and so on.

3. harpuajimi

harpuajimi

Apr 9, 2003
    my fault ...

i have a Warwick Corvette 5, a Fender American Jazz 5 and a Fender P-Bass 4

my Warwick does plenty for me ... that's my primary instrument

i would like to find some strings to put on the Jazz 5 to give me a mellower tone on the low end ... something to get a more standard sound

thanks and sorry for the lack of info ...

jason

4. Ummm still not enough... Mellower than what? Sorry, but its hard to suggest what to use, when you use comparitive terms like "Mellower," and don't tell us what kind of strings are on there now.

5. Well, you could try some flats on the Jazz 5, that'll give you a thumpier more upright sound. (mellow enough?)Thomastik Infeld Jazz 5 flats will fit your bass, and they are supposed to be amazing. Look up Thomguy on here...he'll hook you up with those.If you go with roundwounds, try the Fender Superbass 8250-5M Nickels. That's what it left the factory with and my baby loves em'. I'm going for a brighter sound right now and going with the DR Longnecks (a taperwound Hi-beam). Those are stainless...not what you want.

6. harpuajimi

harpuajimi

Apr 9, 2003
    thanks for the help whamonkey

for the others, i meant mellower low end than the Warwick growl (for lack of a better term)

7. harpuajimi

harpuajimi

Apr 9, 2003
    awesome info ... i'm new to this board, so i'm still feeling it out ... i'm also new to taking my bass playing very seriously, but i'm trying to get into it ...

thanks again!

8. Well awright! Tip #1: ALWAYS practice with a metronome or drum machine. :) See you around!

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say d'addario exl170 but the 5 string version on the jazz and maybe d'addario chromes on the p.. just got the chrome flats on my p-bass kinda like that thumping sound

10. Heard lots of good about the Chromes......cheaper than Thomastiks but not quite as good. How about Fender stainless flats, anybody try those?