Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for a fretless 5 acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SlavaF, Jun 30, 2005.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I own a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 string, and I'm not really comfortable with using the stock roundwounds, since I already see grooves in the wood. I'm especially concerned because of the inlay that basically covers most of the fingerboard. I've heard that fretless basses demand flatwounds (so the wood lasts longer) and acoustic basses demand bronze strings (for better tone and volume). So how would I compensate? What would be some good (not ridiculously expensive) strings to look into? Thanks!

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have a fretless ABG.
    I use Roto-RS-55. smooth feel pressure wound.
    Ken Smith Compressors- again smooth feel, not as smooth a rotos. good fretless string.
    TI-flats- big upright booty.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I use T-I Jazz Flats on my 6 string fretless ABG. Best I've tried so far, though I may want to give some tapewounds a spin.

I did not like any conventional roundwounds of groundwounds on this particular bass.

I don't buy the argument about bronze strings being necessary on an ABG. To me, they make the things sound too guitarlike (which is not necessarily a plus on a bass).