Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a fretless Warwick Corvette

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BenderR, Jun 27, 2004.

1. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I finally got my dream bass :smug: so now I can start worrying :meh: . Like all Warwicks this comes with their medium gauge black label round wound strings. They sound great but will they eat up my ebony fingerboard? Am I better off with flats or half-rounds? :confused:

Please advise.

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I use the Rotosound SM-55 on my fretless 'Vette. They're
    pressure wound; the wire is flattened a bit as its wound onto
    the core, giving a smoother feel that's easier on the fingers
    and the fretboard while retaining a sound that's close to
    the original Rotosound RS-66 set. The SM-55's are stainless
    guaged 40,60,80,100. For me, stainless strings are brighter
    and last longer, and the slightly ligher guage works well on
    the Corvette. Your results and mileage may vary. These
    strings are also known as Rotosound "Solo Bass" and are
    a bit more difficult to find and cost a coupla extra bucks,
    but for me, they're worth it. If you want to order multiple
    sets, PM me, I'll give you the details; you may be able to
    order direct if you can't find them in your area.

Cheers,
    Slug

3. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    That sounds very good indeed. I'll look into this. I never mind spending more for quality.

Any other suggestions from fretless 'Vette drivers?

4. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Hey BenderR - You beat me to the punch on this question. I too recently got a 'Vette fretless (courtesy of my incredible wife).

I had heard that you should not play roundwounds on a fretless, as they would destroy the neck over time. As such, I bought some Rotosounds (can't rememer the exact product, maybe Swing '66?) and a set of Elixirs (which I have not used yet).

Since then a few bassists have said not to worry about roundwounds damaging the neck - so basically I don't know what to believe.

I've kept the flats on the fretless, as it gives me a much different tone than my MIA Fender Jazz and Rick 4001 - both with roundwounds.

I don't know about you, but the ebony neck w/o lines on the 'Vette is what sold me on this one. I find it has less punch than my Fender (at least one to two volume clicks higher for the same perceived output on my amp), but it is a joy to play. Maye the flatwounds are what is making me turn the amp up to try to compensate for the loss of brightness.

Sorry I'm not of more help.

5. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Jazz Bass F/L with flatwounds and they sound a lot less "alive" than the Black Labels I'm using on the Warwick. That may be a source of the volume decrease you are experiencing. I'm still going back and forth on this issue. Part of me says play it with the roundwounds the factory saw fit to install and if the fingerboard gouges get it planed. OTOH, I hate to think of that beautiful unlined fingerboard being ravaged. The Fender 9050 flatwounds that I use for my Jazz won't even fit in the tailpiece of the Warwick so if I do decide to put flats on it there will be some searching required.

Like yourself, I was quite taken with the appearence of the fingerboard. Although Warwick's specs claim that all Warwicks have Wenge fingerboards the fretless "Vette obviously has Ebony. A quick email to D.B. Goods, Warwick's US distributer, confirmed this.

6. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    As a bit of followup to this thread I would like to report the following. After one month I was starting to see lines worn into the fingerboard of the 'Vette. I was able to fit some Fender 9050 flatwounds and was grossly disappointed. It sounded EXACTLY like a MIM Fender FL Jazz with dead strings. (Believe me, I am an expert on that sound.)

I quickly ordered a set of Rotosound 55LDs and everything came back into focus. I recovered the Warwick growl that I so loved. The current issue of Bass Guitar Magazine (published in Britain) has an excellent article on strings, one that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in this subject. http://bassguitarmagazine.com

7. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thanks BenderR - I may check out the SM-55's too.

8. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Just this evening I tried some home-recording using the Corvette with the Roto 55-LDs. It really recorded well just plugging in directly. I am more and more convinced that these are the right strings for this bass, at least the way that I use it.