strings for a fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Faceley, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    OK so i'm changing my neck to a fretless, now on my friends fretless i noticed the strings on it are different than normal strings. they aren't rough they are very smooth. so i guess the question i am asking is, Do i have to buy a special type of strings for a fretless bass than i do for a regular freted bass?:meh:
  2. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    You don't have to. Those strings on your friends bass are called flatwounds. They sound much more mellow like old motown records, plus they aren't as harsh on your frets/fingerboard, which is why fretless players often use them. You don't have to if you don't want to, but your fretboard will wear out faster if you don't use them. However, Jaco, arguably the greatest fretless player of all time, used rounds. So it's your choice. For more info on round vs. flats, check out the links on strings. Peace.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree pretty much with newbass, but what strings you will want to use really depends on what sound you are looking for, and what your fingerboard is made out of. I like roundwounds, but I have a fretless with a pretty hard synthetic fingerboard. If I had a rosewood fingerboard, I'd probably use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flatwounds since rosewood is relatively soft.
  4. Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    ok thakyou soo much for your help guys. i think i will go with the flatwound strings because i am ordering my neck with a rosewood fretboard. once again thankyou.
  5. I posted a thread on Tomastik-Infeld flatwound strings and recieved a lot of very positive replies, you should check it out. I ended up buying them and absoloutely love them, they keep sounding better as they age too. Very musical sounding strings. Long lasting too so far.