1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for a heavy hitter...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by snaggyjake, Dec 2, 2006.

1. snaggyjake

snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    What do you think are the best strings for me? I hit the strings pretty damn hard and I'm in to my heavy bass. I also can't gig with 1 set of strings more than 3 times without breaking them which is pretty costly if i'm gigging heavily at the time. Another thing..I tend to play alot in drop-d and at the mo. this seems to make the e-string a bit too loose. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    um.....are you playing finger or pick style? I've never broken a string in 3yrs.

3. snaggyjake

snaggyjake

Feb 21, 2006
    I play with a pick..

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Obviously, thicker strings will help you, although I would suggest that anyone consistently breaking strings after 3 gigs should learn to play with a bit more finesse. I haven't ever broken a string over a total of 7 years of playing.

5. stz

stz

Nov 9, 2006
    Derby, UK
    I've not broken a string in 5 years. Except two weeks ago when I broke a bottom E.. I was very confused and didn't really know what to make of it. Playing guitar I used to break upto 2 a rehersal. Thats more my crappy guitar technique.

Like the guy above said, if your breaking strings that often, check your bridge and how you are installing them, then check your technique! Are you using an amp that just isn't quite loud enough therefore overplaying the instrument?

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i broke a string for this very frustrating reason!!

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    DR Lo-Riders or Dean Markley Blue Steels.

Also might help to shim up your nut. That'll give a stiffer feel, and helps with drop tunings instead of adding a bunch more relief.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    When I was a hard rock player, once I happened to break an "A" string with my pick. Then I figured out my bass actually didn't sound like a bass any more, due to too much hit on the strings and too muck attack (added to a Ric 4001 set on pretty much treble boost).

Then I went back to a more "normal" playing and never broke any string again.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

9. I cant fathom breaking a sting... Keep up the good work :D (no really thats awesome!).

10. I use DR Black Beauties (when I can find them in the right guage; I use 50-110) and have had pretty good luck with them holding up for me. I play pretty hard, although I have had to lighten up my feel a bit because I broke strings pretty often. Really, your best bet is to reevalute your playing. When you play so hard that you constantly break strings, you're really not doing yourself any favors tone-wise. I know that you do get a certain grind when you play hard that you just can't get any other way, but you also lose a lot of your low end when you really slam your strings. Try backing off just a little, and you'll probably be pleased at the results. I'll bet that you will stop breaking strings, and your tone will be better.

11. Try a lighter pick. What pick gauge are you using?

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Try the LaBella "Jamerson" set. :D
    (And have a sling ready for your fretting hand...)

13. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I've been playing for many years, and I don't play with a particularly light touch, but I've yet to break a bass string, either with pick or fingers. And I use a fairly thick, rigid pick.

If you're hitting the strings so hard you break 'em then you need to choose between using a less agressive technique or buying replacement strings more often than most of us.

14. I play with a pick and used to break strings. I tried SIT Power Wounds and haven't broken a string since. (About 7 years) They're also inexpensive and sound great. They're all I use now.

15. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    i use snarling dogs nickel roundwound
    i got no mercy on my strings or fingers but i still didnt manage to break them (i did manage to get some bruises on the fingers though :( )

16. I use Blue Steels and play pretty hard on them.

I've only broke one bass string in my life. That was on my last set of strings. The B string broke on me but it looked more like it was cut right at the bridge. Must have been a sharp spot.