1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

strings for a jazz bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dthomp1231, Apr 22, 2009.

1. dthomp1231

dthomp1231

Mar 13, 2009
    Hey guys, I wanted to know what strings I should use if I want to get the lowest action possible without the buzzing. I haven't gone through many different brands yet as I am stil fairly new playing bass (about 1 year). Anyone have any suggestions. I'm currently using D'Addario lights and I have the action set as low as possible, and I hate to say it but I almost hate playing this bass. I had a schecter elite 4 before, with the same strings, and was able to set it up nice and low with very little buzzing. I've been trying to get low on the fender but its hard to keep the be string from sounding too muddy. Thanks

2. LPpt

LPpt

Sep 13, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    I think the brand of string is quite irrelevant so far as buzzing or not.
    Maybe you need to adjust the neck relief to keep the strings from rattling.
    I recomend you to have your bass setup professionaly if you don't know how to do that yourself, as you can damage the neck if you don't know what you're doing. Take a look at the sticky on basic setupin the hardware, setup and repair forum.

My opinion only, hope that helps

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    take to a shop for a setup...I use D'addario lights on all my basses and have no problems..2 out 3 are Fenders. According to the shop I go to for all my work, my action is "Reggie Wooten Low"....translate to significantly lower than spec for the bass.

4. Zachbass02 is correct. Time for a setup

I use D'Addario XL-175's on my Squier V...buzzing has everything to do about setup and playing style and nearly nothing to do with strings (without getting into all that string-tension detail)

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +4 for a pro setup.

6. I've got a '08' MIA Jazz V which I use Fender Super Bass 8250's. They sound good and last a very long time. I've played a ton of gigs on them and have never had a string break and I slap and pop hard. In fact it's time I change them after being on for 9 months.

7. Yeah, I'd suggest a set up as well. However, I'd also suggest a set of strings with hexagonal core construction like Sadowsky, DR Low Riders, Elrick, etc. The hexcore construction will cause your strings to have more tension so that you can get it as low as you want and still have enough tension to keep them from flopping all over your fretboard. Have the luthier who sets up your bass install them when he sets it up. That way your neck will be adjusted to the added tension of your new strings since hexcore strings will pull a little more on your neck.

8. dthomp1231

dthomp1231

Mar 13, 2009
    Funny because I just had it set up, and the guy I have do it is amazing.I'll bring it back to him and see if he can adjust it to any lower

9. I also play the Fender 8250 on my 5-String Jazz. For my Needs and Taste I found out, that a taperwound B-String supports the Definition and Tightness of the Low-B String in my Ears.

There are other taperwound Strings out there, but for me the 8250 work well, because they sound good, they last and they are not to expencive.:)