Strings for a Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Mar 5, 2004.

1. :bassist: Hey all!

What strings fit a Lakland 55-02? I just bought some D'Addario "Long" Prisms, and they won't fit thru-body or through the bridge. The taper doesn't make it to the nut. I guess they weren't made to fit the 35" scale, much less running them through the body. What is everyone else using?

2. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    awesome question...I have a 55-02 on the way and the first thing I'm going to do is change the strings. I hope the DR low riders fit.
  3. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Yup looks like the Lo-Riders will fit. Just went to their site and it says they fit scale lengths up to 37 3/4".
  4. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    I use DR Highbeams and they are real close to not fitting... But that's what they offer at the factory...

Let us know how the low beams work...
  5. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've been using the low riders on my 55-02. Also like the sunbeams for smooth finger sound but did not cut it for slap. The low riders work best for me. :)
  6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Try the Super long scale Prisms, if they don't fit send e-mail to D'addario with comments and they probably can work something out. They claim that long scale should fit 35" scale bass so the super long should fit 35" scale with the string through body.
  7. Did the lo-riders fit through the body with no problem?

8. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Did the lo-riders fit through the body with no problem?

Yes, no problem :bassist:
  9. Thanks DB5...on my way to the store to buy some now! What guage did you use?

10. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    MH5-45, 5-String Stainless Steel Set, Gauges .045, .065, .085, .105, .125

Good Luck, Scott
  11. Got the light set .040 - .120 perfect fit! Thanks!

12. Does anyone know if Elixir Nanowebs will fit a 55-02? Not used to having a through body string system...
  13. When I looked, I couldn't find an Extra Long scale set...I don't think they will fit....
  14. JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Looks like they make a medium gauge that's labeled as "X-Long" scale.
    Keep in mind that the 55-02's bridge is designed for through body and through bridge.

Here's the Elixer link
    Elixer Bass String Chart

15. bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    The extra long prisms fit really well. I've been using them 1 1/2 yrs
  16. QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I have a Lakeland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe. The bass sounds great with Dean Markley Nickel Steel lights or Mediums (your choice)
  17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Does Lakland recommend taper wounds when stringing thru-body?
  18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a 55-01. I run D'Addario ProSteels through the body, so I use the Super-Long Set (EPS170-5SL is the model number)
  19. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I was about to ask what comes on the 55-01? Got mine recently from BassCentral and I really like the sound and feel of the original strings, also could be the way it was awesomely setup on arrival. It feels and plays better than my SR5 and right now my Ray has the free set I got for registering that bass with EB. Any idea what comes standard on the 55-01, if indeed they are factory, or would Basscentral have any reason to change out strings before they ship one out? Otherwise I think I will be playing these strings on my 55-01 for a good while before I change em out, plus I don't change strings out but maybe twice a year if that. Oh and just yesterday I bought a set of D'Addario Chromes for my MIM Jazz, no choice that is all GC had in flatwounds. Think I'll have a tech put those on and do a set up for me, frets could use some work too. First time at a gig I did a long slide up the neck, felt like I was running my hand along some railroad tracks, big ouch, had to LOL.
  20. Deep

May 8, 2002
    Ernie D...They come with Lakland brand stainless steel strings. Which are GHS Super-Steels made for Lakland specifications. If you want nickel-plated they have them too. They wind up being GHS boomers made for Lakland specs also.
    I think the stainless are awesome. To me GHS Super-Steels are great strings. Nobody ever really mentions them here. It's usually about boutique string makers etc. But the GHS SS last a long time, have a great tone. To me anyway.