Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a Lakland 55-94?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Apr 18, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi TB'ers,

Thanks in advance for what I'm will be sure insightful comments. As mentioned, I have a Lakland 55-94. Right
    now I have on the same Lakland strings that were on the bass when I purchased it.

Like everyone else, I am in search of the proverbial 'taut
    B' string, although its not too bad now. Can anyone
    recommend a good set of strings for this bass - esp.
    that will yield the tautest B possible?

Would having a lighter guage string help at all?

I've heard some good stuff about Elixir from another 55-94
    owner. They sound interesting. Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
    Captain W.

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Captain W.. You can order strings directly from Lakland.. I've tried other strings with my Laklands, but they were not always long enough when strung through the body.. Good luck.. Steve..

3. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I keep going back and forth between the Lakland strings (which I understand are made by GHS), and MTD strings on my 55-94. I like them both, but I think I prefer the MTD's over the Laklands (even though you can't string the MTD's thru the body).

It's interesting you mention a lighter gauge. I've been thinking about experimenting with that too, I've just been too lazy to get around to it. I was going to try a set of light gauge Smith's and see how I like them.

I've never tried the Elixers, although I probably would if I had a fretless. Not sure they're really necessary on a fretted, but I imagine some people use them for that.

-Red

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Definitely go with strings long enough to go thru-body...that's critical to the optimal B string, according to Lakland (and according to my own experience). As I've said before, you can't beat the price of Laklands at $22 a set direct from them. I haven't found anything better.