Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a Marcus Miller Jazz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I bought a MM Jazz, should be here any time, but unfortunately I have to find the sweetest tone right away. I'm using it in the pit for our local production of Footloose and I need that classic Jazz sound, thumpy yet defined. I'm thinking of going back to steels. D'Addario ProSteels in all likelihood.

Any other recommendations for a tight, defined yet warmish string for a MM Jazz?

2. Well, I don't own a jazz, but Blue Steels have a good warm defined bottom with a upper midrange that makes me think of how a jazzbass sounds. On my Stingray that is. According to his tech, Miller is still using Hi-Beams on his Jazz.

3. Be very careful if you buy Blue Steels Because I got four sets and they sounded like they had been played to death already. They were recommended highly by a friend but the shop I bought them from would not take them back. So I was stuck with four sets of dead strings. YMMV

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Marcus Miller jazz can be bright sounding, especially with steel strings. The bass is all boost and no cut so I would say to you buy a steel set and a nickel set. I see you play with GK equipment so I think nickels would be the best bet for you. Like I said, try both

5. Why would you buy 4 sets?

6. If your strings truly was dead out of the box, send DM a email about it. They have a good customerservice.

tplyons, how about those Sadowsky strings? Gets a lot of praise around here.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    carl-anton, I may give those a shot. AFAIK they're made to Roger's specs by E&O Mari, the company that makes LaBella. So I know they're good, if not better than LB's.

Either that or I'll just throw my usual set of XL's.

8. Cool, - looking foreward to hear what you think of them. Haven't tried them myself, but they surely has gotten my attention.

You can't really go wrong with XL's so that might be the safe bet.

9. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey T,

Do you know what model of LaBella's the Sadowsky's are close to? I have a 5 string set of Nickels that I really like, and emailed Sadowsky about a 6 string set. Unfortunately, they have no plans for making a 6 string set.

Sooooo... I figured I'd try out the LaBella 6 strings. It seems the only nickel 6 set they have is the Slappers.

I was wondering what experience you have with LaBella strings?

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    bump looking for tplyon reply?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry about that. According to Bass Player, the Sad steels are very VERY similar to LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels, my former string of choice. I don't know if they have a nickelwound equivalent though.

For sixers, I usually go straight for the D'Addario XL's.

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    LOL. That's what I have on my other 6 - D'Addario Nickels. I take it then, you haven't tried the LaBella Nickels. I think once the D'Addario's go, I'll try the LaBellas.

Thanks for the reply!

13. What made you skip the Hard Rocking Steels?

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On the Marcus you mean?

I'm not sure entirely that I want to go back to steels, but if I do they're a viable option, or perhaps go back to D'Addario ProSteels, which I actually liked a bit better than the LaBella's. ProSteels were the strings that took me away from LaBella for good.

I've always used D'Addario upright strings, always used D'Addario electric strings, and have had my vintage P strung with XL's ever since. But on my main bass, it was LaBella's until I tried the ProSteels.

15. I think it was a comparison of prosteels and the labella's I was after :)

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me, the HRS's were the perfect string, every other steel didn't compare. They were warm, had the high end zing without losing fundamental tones. They had the boom I wanted and the punch I craved and stayed that way for a couple of months like I needed them to. Very rough on the fingers but I got used to that quickly and sounded great with a pick in a metal band.

I tried the ProSteels for $5.99 (hell of a deal, couldn't refuse) and they had the same warm fundamental but a bit more prominent, the same high end zing, and were much more comfortable on the fingers. Lasted a bit longer, cheaper, but just that added little bit of fundamental tone took the cake. Little more boom, little less zing in the mix.

I was in heaven.

Plus they player's points don't hurt. :)

17. Thanks - [prosteels added to what-to-try-next list] I guess you're using nickel strings now because they give you even more of what prosteels gave you? I just found XL's to be somewhat uniteresting sounding. No real character in themselves and not bringing out the instruments character either.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm using them on my '78 P because I don't want that kind of zing from a P-bass. I really grew to love the strong fundamental without large amounts of overtones.

19. Ok, nice to hear your views :) Thanks!

20. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    DR Fat Beams (his signature set).

They sound great on my '88 Fender Jazz.