Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for a mim jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve-o, Jun 13, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well tomorrow i am getting a fretless jazz.
    it has ok flats on it now
    but what are some good flats?
    i would be playing slap mostly. and some jazz.
    thanks for input

steve

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you're going to be playing slap, you might want roundwound strings, not flatwounds. A lot of people swear by Thomastik-Infeld flats for this purpose, but I have not experience with those.

The bass comes with Fender flats, those are the strings that I used (when I used flatwound strings), and I thought they were just fine. But not for slap.

3. I have a MIM J fretless with Fender 9050M stainless flats installed. I like the feel just fine, and the sound is OK.

I bought a set of D'Addario chrome flats just for grins and giggles, but also have a set of TI Jazz Flats ready to install as the "keeper" strings.

This bass is also getting a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups and a J-Retro active preamp. I have some preliminary recordings of the bass in stock condition, and will see if I can get the string changes uploaded also, before I change out the pickups.

Link to Preliminary Bass Recordings

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    hey MR. mopar, are you still looking to trade heads with someone, if so I'm trying to get rid of a Bass 350...

5. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I had ground wound's and I tried Round Wounds on my 1959 Fender Jazz and let me tell ya they both wore my neck a bit. I fell in love with the feel and tone of Ribbon Wound strings for the frettless.
    Good Luck

6. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I played the Fender 9050's that came with my MIM fretless for a while. I switched to TI-flats for a few months. Then I got a set of D'Addario Chromes and played those for a month and went back to the TI's. I love the way they feel and they sound really good. I found the Chromes too quiet and "plain" sounding. The Fenders are fat and boomy. The TI's IMO are the best flat strings period.

7. I just removed the factory set of Fender 9050M stainless flats from my MIM J fretless, and put on a new set of nickel D'Addario EXL220 rounds that I received as a gift.

I don't like light strings (0.040, 0.060, 0.075, 0.090) because they don't have enough substance for me, and tend to buzz. But... the price was right. I set the saddles for a string height of 3-business-card clearance at the 7th fret. This got me away from buzzing, and kept the mwah alive.

These nickel rounds have substantially more mwah and Slinky fretless tone than the 9050M flats. But, I much prefer the feel and playability of the 9050M, but the rounds have the mwah. I'll be taking this bass to my Sunday gig to see how it performs out in the wild.