Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a MusicMan SUB

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by napski, Feb 20, 2006.

1. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey:

I just picked up a Music Man SUB. I think its has D'Addario strings on it. I'm not liking the sound on it too much with them and wanted something good to slap with.

I was looking at DR Hi-Beams...are those good for slap on this baby?

2. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I have a SUB. I used GHS Bass Boomers almost exclusively on it.

3. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was using Ernie Ball Super Slinky's...but I'm not liking the tone. Are flatwounds any good on the SUB? :eyebrow:

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    hi there - i've owned a SUB for over a year now and have almost exclusively used super slinkies...
    after some research and sleepless nights wondering - i finally bought some TI flats and they just arrived today SO i'll give a full review when i get a chance to change the strings...:bassist:

5. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep, I've been using Roto Jazz flats on my Sub for the last year or so. Suits me fine. I doubt that I'll be changing any time soon.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Flats will work very well on an SUB.

7. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    this is my little review of Ti flats on a SUB:

initial impressions - despite their low tension statistics, they are NOT loose - if at all - compared to super slinkies that i've been using for over a year now. very smooth feeling and very nice overall

in a band - finally got to play with the band, and i have to say - WOW!! the mids are amazing - makes the sound really thick and nice, plus the highs from the SUB are tamed, but not totally gone, which is the way i like it. sustain is good, altho my sound engineer mentioned that i had less sustain than before - i didn't notice at all from my amp, but, maybe it sounded different FOH.

one thing i did notice when playing live was that the strings felt kinda tight! - the total opposite of what they should be. maybe i gotta setup issue here

overall - awesome tone from these strings - i love em...