Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a P bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cep, Jun 21, 2001.

1. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    I'm picking up a MIM P bass today, I currently have a Jazz. I've been using D'addario half wounds or XL. I'm going to be playing classic rock and blues. Any suggestions on strings for that fat bottom sound.

2. Have you considered flatwounds? If I had a p bass, it'd definately have them. They'll give you that fat bottom you're looking for, a lot of lows, although you won't get much sustain or highs.

3. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    Thanks for the reply, I was thinking Flat wounds, but I really don't want to loose so much of my high end, in case I need it. Can I get the best of both worlds from half wounds.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Flats on the P... Rounds on the J... That's my setup and I'm stickin' to it.

-robert

5. I have D'Addario XL160 Regular on my '74 Ash P bass and it sounds great to me.

The larger then average (.050) G string has a more rounded tone then the traditional (.045) G string, IMO.

On my Alder P Bass I have a set of Medium Nickel Plated DR LoRiders. These strings also sound great, but when it comes time to replace them I am going to try the D'Addario XL160's on it as well. Not only because I like the G string better, but they are significantly less expensive then DRs.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've just taken my beloved Flats off my '75 Precision. As much as I love the tone the Flats just don't cut through the band mix (I'm in a fairly high energy Blues/R&B band). I've got D'Addario XL nickel rounds on right now and while they don't sound as good when I practice alone they are way better in the band mix.

7. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    Thanks for the replies and advice, it's much appreciated. I'm really a D'Addario junky so I'll proably go with the XL's

Thanks again

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey DaveB... I used to have the same problem until I read about boosting at 800Hz in the Sept. 98 issue of Bass Player. I was sitting in the can one night before going to a gig, pondering how to cut through without cranking the volume. Lo and behold, I'm reading the 9/98 issue on recording your bass and there's a section on EQ tips, talking about fine-tuning certain frequencies. Seems that 800Hz is a sweet spot to boost for cutting through without adding honk. Tried it that night and haven't gone back. I didn't need as much as I thought, and it did allow me to decrease volume a bit, while still getting the tone I love... YMMV of course, but it may be worth a shot.

-robert

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    IMO you can get the best of both worlds from Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. And, they'll last for years so don't be put off by the price.

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Shoot, man, I didn't see that! I did discover it on my own, however, and I've got an Ampeg pre-amp that can really dish it out. I've been able to turn down some, too, and not lose the sound or clarity I'm looking for. I'm currently using some Ernie Ball flats, and they sound good with that 800 hz. boost.

11. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Another vote for the TI Flats.SUPERB on a P bass!!!Good luck!

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    rllefebv- Hey good tip. I'm going to try that out. I'll let you know how it works out.

13. hey!!
    the 800hz thing works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. TI Jazz flats and P basses are just made for each other.