1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for a Pre-Ernie-Ball Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandmann, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hi,

i want to spend my ´78 stingray some new strings. i just put a fresh set of regular slinkies on my mm50 and thought how fantastic these strings sound on a musicman - but my ´78 only allows string-through-body stringing and as far as i can see there are no extra long strings made by ernie ball.

what strings do you guys put on your old stingrays? should be the same problem on the new classic series.

regards,

sandmann

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    DR Sunbeams or Lo Riders will be long enough and sound great.

I really like the way Fender 7250s sound on Stingrays, and they will be long enough, too. Since Fender's strings have changed, though, I'm not sure this is still the case.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    DR strings fit, I use Highbeams on mine. For nickel the Slinkys fit just fine, but to me GHS Boomers sound more fat and punchier.

4. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Regular old Slinkies are long enough for STB application. I wondered the same, but EB said the regular slinkies are long enough for my 30th Anniv SR4H and they work fine on my 2010 SR4H Classic both STB plus my 2010 SR4HH is STB and has regular Slinkies on too.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021