Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a Spector Euro LX 5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slicecom, Nov 11, 2004.

1. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    I bought the bass, the original Spector strings sounded pretty nice, but i switched them to the ones ive been using for years (ernie balls) and they sound like crap. From what i've heard around here DR's seem to be the best value string. What type should i get?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DR's are really nice. Im assuming you are looking for roundwounds only, so i think theyd be your best bet. I use Elixirs on my main bass, ever tried them?

3. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Nope. The only strings ive tried are d'dario's and ernie balls, and i stuck with the ernie balls till now. Ive heard good things about elixirs too. I need some specific reccomendations though. I was thinking of DR Lo-Riders but should i get them in nickle or stainless steel?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For a Spector i would go with DR lo riders in nickel. I think the Nickel compliments the spector tone nicely. The stainless would sound IMO kinda harsh.

5. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto

Awesome! Thanks a lot! Ill pick some up tommorow.

6. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    You might also want to consider Rotosound RS665LDN nickel roundwounds....I just switched to them from the SS version and it has really warmed up the sound of my Streamer. I can dial in a lot more top end presence with the nickel strings than I ever could with the stainless ones.

I've heard a lot of differing opinions over Rotosound quality control but I've never had any problems. I was able to get 10 sets for around $11.00 a set off the "bay" and I think I'll be sticking with these as it really has helped in my "tone" quest!!

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I disagree!!!! I agree about the LR's they are the best string for a 5 string Spector (after spending 100's on strings to determine this). I love the LR SS. They sound a "little" harsh for about a week. I just roll my highs down a little to compensate untill the strings settle. LR's SS cut awesome and still retain the nice punchy mids and the thunderous lowend. I found with the Nickels after they break in they sound a little dull to my ears. SS LR's have that bite that I like so when I can really dig in when I want to. But congrats on the bass.