Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a Spector Q5 Pro ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by snappytom, Jan 14, 2006.

1. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Just won a Spector Q5 Pro on e-Bay, eagerly waiting for delivery.

I always clean up and restring any used bass I acquire, but this is my first Fiver and my first Spector. Since it has a 35" scale I don't want to order some which will be too short. Will most definitely go with rounds and probably nickel, don't want to spend too much. If anyone has this bass I would love to hear what you use. Any string suggestions for a 35" that won't come up short are also appreciated.

I know, I could order the Spector strings and be done with it. But finding out what your options are is always a good thing.

2. I have this same bass and I love it! When I got mine I put on Elixir medium long scale strings with the nanoweb coating. What a beautiful sound! I could get a great rock sound, a nice deep bass tone for those contemporary Christian songs, and even a good jazz sound. I realize that most of this has to do with the bass itself, but the Elixers were 100 times better than whatever the new strings were that came with the bass

Recently I took them off and put some new Rotosounds on them, but I'm not sure I like them as much. They have a lot of zing to them. I'm going to give the Rotos another 2 weeks of playing to see if I get used to the sound, and if not, I'm going back to Elixir.

Have fun with your new baby! :bassist:

3. I had a NS 2005, which for all purposes, is fairly similar. I used the spector strings alot, medium guage nickles, I used DR black beauties, and Elixer medium guage. My favorites were probably the elixers. They were quite even sounding and were very comfortable. On the expensive side, but theyre supposed to last longer. I sold it bout 3 months after they went on, so I cant comment on that.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    D'Addario XL-170 super longs are a good nickel string that does not cost too much. You will need a super long set for a 35" scale. Should be about $25 for the XL-170-5SL.

Dave

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have the same bass, but I also have an NS2000/5, so I had the Q5 defretted and right now I'm using Chromes on it, but I'm going to try some Rotosound Black Tapewound strings on it...

...anyways, on the fretted, I went from D'addario EXL170s, to Slowounds, to (currently) DR Black Beauties. Don't think I'll be making a switch anytime soon...

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have spent a lot of money on strings for my Rebop 5.

DR Lowriders hands down

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    are those the standard length DR strings, or did you have to get a long neck, because of the 35" scale?

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Standard for Spectors