1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for a Variax

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fazzball, Apr 16, 2006.

1. fazzball

fazzball

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Am seriously contemplating purchasing a variax since im getting an unbelieveable deal on a demo model. One thing that gets me is i keep wondering if string choice on a digital bass such as the variax would effect its tone(s).

Anyone know if it would be ok to put flats or coated strings on such a bass??

Thanks for your help.

2. fazzball

fazzball

Dec 9, 2005
    Sydney
    bump

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I would actually like to hear what flats would be like on that thing!

4. b0b

b0b

Jun 18, 2013
    The Variax is not a "digital bass". The emulation filters are digitally controlled, but the sound is still analog.

I have a similar question, though. What strings are best for the instrument?

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The stock strings are best D'Addario XL nickel wound .45-.100 the models sound better to me using flats on the Ric and Ray models they don't have that bite.

6. A friend of mine that has two Variax's has done extensive string trials and has settled on Elixer rounds as the best tonal fit when using a Line 6 POD and Line 6 amp.

Others may disagree, I dunno. He's an electrical engineer. I just know he's tried pretty much everything out there and I respect the science as well as the critical listening he's put into the deliberative process.