Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for a Zon Sonus 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, May 16, 2001.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey folks,
    I was wondering what strings I should put on my Zon Sonus. I currently have some Peavey Stainless Steels on there (not my choice, came with the bass for free and the strings on it were dead anyways, but they're pretty good, albeit a bit too bright.) So, I was thinking along the lines of nickels, but if you got some SS's you strongly reccomend, go ahead. I've tried DRs, and I really like the Hi beams, but they were too bright on the bass I tried them on (Modulus Flea Bass). So, gimme some suggestions...:)

Thanks,
    Neal

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Try Zon's own strings. I like them a lot. Or try Fodera strings. I use custom gages on my basses but try them out, I think you will like them.
    At least I like them.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've used Elixir's on both of my Zon 5's, and they sound really great, meaty and bright but not too bright, and a set will last you a long time. and they've just come out witha new, thinner poly coating thats supposed to be a little brighter.

4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't like the Elixirs, but thanks for the suggestion..the coating sort of "sheds" and its a hassle to deal with, I mean, I already have my skin flakes coming off, I don't need more from my strings ;)

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've heard several people talk about the Elixir coating coming off in a annoying way, but I've never had that problem, and I've been using them ever since they first started coming out. Maybe seven sets by now? Had a slight fuzz once when they were on for a long time (6+ months) but it was insignificant.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    D'addario SloWounds.

Not quite the right guages for me...they are 45-130 at max, and I usually use 50-135, but they work great on graphite necked basses. Try a set!

Just about any set of LaBella's works very well on graphite, even the Hard Rockin Steels (and I dislike SS on my graphite necked bass). I think my next set will either be a set of LaBella Slappers or some DR Lo-Riders, if I can find an acceptable guage.

Nice score on the bass, btw!

7. I use Daddario Nickel on my Zon Sonus Custom 5.

8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Okay,
    thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm gonna definately try the Slow Wounds ,because I played a Sterling with em on (it was used..strings were sort of old, but still nice) and they sounded great. I'll also try the regular D'Addarios...thanks guys!

I'll get pics of my Zon up soon, in basses.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good choice, they're great strings!

You gotta start up a "Who Loves Graphite" thread, I'd love to see it! You, me, Gard (;)), Brad Johnson, etc etc...

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    hey...good idea :) I'll make ita pics thread. Thanks Angus.

Neal