1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for acoustic

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 0175westwood29, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    its a guvnor 4 string and it has wat looks like brass strings on it the sound really twangy? happy sounding? if you know wat im mean not that bad of a thing!, but if i got a diff set of strings heavier gauge or some thing could i bring out a more bassy tone? i know i can eq some of it away when i play with it plugged but unplugged i can't do nout?

can it be done?

here's a pic of it

Picture203.

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Take off the bronze strings and put on whatever strings you like on your other basses you can put just about any strings you like on that acoustic. I have TI Jazz Flats on My Takamine 512 and it sounds great unplugged as well as plugged in.

3. The factory strings are probably phosphor type, which you will learn about if you go to www.juststrings.com and follow the links to the ABG strings.

You can use just about any strings you want on that bass, BUT be careful with the gauge. The style of bridge on that bass has holes for the strings to pass through, and heavy gauge strings may be too large to go through. I just put D'Addario chromes on an Applause ABG and I had to take a knife and remove the silk windings from the A and E strings before they'd pass through the holes in the bridge. It was darn close, and the E in my set was only .105 in size.

So I'd recommend you stay with light gauge strings, with the E not to exceed .100 in size. Those ought to fit.

4. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    kk thanks guys was just wandering, anyone put flats on an acoustic?

5. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I have nylon tapewounds from status on my Washburn now. The was not much change is size or tension so the transition was easy. They sounded alright when first on but now I am really loving the. Great tone and easy to play.

6. I also have tapewound strings (GHS) on my AE bass and like them a lot. Got rid of the fret clack in addition to sounding great.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I've got Chromes on my Thunderchief. They work just fine... even without all the string noise :)

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've tried flats on my acoustic, but at the moment I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, gotta try Thomastics when I get a chance though.

9. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    cool thanks for the options guys, keep em coming!

i want a nice bass thud from the acoustic when im unplugged!

10. Um, the D'addario Chromes referenced in my post JUST above yours are flats.

11. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    Hmm, I might try those out on my Thunderchief.

How did it affect your unplugged volume. I play with a pretty powerful delta guitar player and right now my old D'Darrio Phospor Bronze give us a nice natural volume balance.

I would like the smoother sound of Chromes, but I don't want to loose presence or volume while unplugged.

12. I had an electroacoustic Tanglewood fretless for a while. The makers put on some dreadful rounds. When I complained the dealer fitted Piccalo flats (which are really lovely). But I eventually fitted Thomastik Infeldt Phosphor Bronzes.

I doubt I've ever heard such a lovely sound from a bass guitar.

But that was on a fretless...

John

13. I'm still using the factory bronzes and then only thing I hate is the presence that high. low end in acoustic basses is not that high, so high pressence annoyes me.

I'll go for a flat set really soon.

14. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    soz man not to experianced with string there are so many!

thanks again for all the suggetions i think ill just have to go in to my next lesson and pickup a random pack of strings that my bass teacher has! hes got everything so i i try a loud till i get the tone i want

but chromes look like the way to go yeh?