Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

? strings for ADGCF -tuning ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mara, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I tried searching for a topic on this but didn't find one.

So, I'm looking for new strings for my Esh Various V. I use both the standard BEADG and the ADGCF tunings and I was wondering if there's a specific set that works well for this ADGCF -tuning or a set of strings that I should avoid at all costs?

Thanks a bunch,

Mara

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you mean low A, like a tone lower than regular tuning ?

Then, all I could recommend is using big gauges to avoid floppiness.

3. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Yes, to match my guitarists D-tuning.

Any ideas in general? Flatwounds vs. roundwounds, some special strings to compliment the lower stringtension in the ADGCF -tuning? Gauge?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

At least 135 for your low B.
    I'd say stainless steel for more clarity and exposed core for a stronger fundamental note.

Mmmhhh. Labella maybe ?

5. I'd say DR's, .50 .70 .90 .110. .130. High tension strings.

6. Fodera makes a 50-135 set that might do the job. They're very high-tension strings for their gauge.

7. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Help me out guys. I'm having trouble finding a set of strings that you proposed.

Labella told me to go to juststrings.com, but they don't list anything thicker than 130 for B.

I can't get hold of Fodera because their feckin' mailbox is full so all my emails just bounce back.

...and DR hasn't replied yet.

Where in the world can you find these 140's?!?!? Any good online shops?

Thanks for your help,

Mara

8. JustStrings has the Fodera 50-135s, dude. Do some more legwork.

9. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    How did I miss that - I don't know.

Thanks and excuse me. It's been a long a day...

10. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Well, I guess I will go for the Pyramid stainless steel .045-.140 Low Bottom 5-X-heavy (38€ straight from the factory, including postage and taxes).

DR Low-Riders would've cost 65€ a set, and Fodera from JustStrings.com 70€ a set. Not hard to choose what to go for...

Thanks for the info guys!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You could try some strings with high tension. I'm currently using Rotosound RS77 flats and these are pretty much as rigid as they come. Also great for setting up low action on standard tuning.

12. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Well, got my Pyramid .45-.140 ss set setup on my bass. These strings + a slight tweak in the height of them had an affect like I could never imagine. I swear, when I first plugged her in with the ADGCF -tuning and popped the A I thought it was tuned to B! That's how tight it felt, not to mention the sound. Would never think getting such a crispy growl (what the hell is that!?!?) from a low A, but there it was.

Alex in Pyramid was very helpfull and I got the strings in three working days from my order. I'd recommend these strings to anyone with A or D-tuned bass.

Welldone Pyramid !