1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for an Aria AMB-50 fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by derrenleepoole, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I'm after a set of strings for the Aria AMB-50 fretless acoustic bass. Obviously flatwounds of some sort, but I want a really dark mellow tone that's smooth to play. My normal gauge is 45 - 105's. But maybe a change is necessary to get the dark tone I require? Any suggestions?

2. I have an AMB-50 fretless, and I like the LaBella tapewounds on it. Dark and mellow, a bit of mwah, but mostly thump. For even more thump, the Rotosound 88s I tried were good. For a little less thump, the Fender 9120s are another option. Not everyone likes tapes, of course, but I find them perfectly suited to that bass.

The LaBellas are available from Carvin at a good price, if you decide to go that way. The Rotos and LaBellas both have a 115 E, so you might have to do a little filing. The first set I tried cracked the plastic nut.

Incidentally, I've never seen another AMB-50 fretless, in person or on the web. I was starting to think I had the only one made.

3. Cheers Glenos...

This is exactly what I had in mind, but couldn't place a name to what I exactly wanted. The Aria is a lovely bass for the price, but I've never been able to get the right tone, so as a result I don't play it as much as I should, which is just plain criminal really. Hopefully this will change all that. The heavier guage should be interesting :eyebrow:

4. Here you go, now there's a picture of the AMB on the web :D

DSC00017a. DSC00018a.

5. Looks good! Funny, right after I saw your photos, I saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Mine is black, as pictured in the auction. Made in Korea, where I live, but I bought mine online from a US company. Body material is similar to that of an Ovation, but the Aria's shape is much more comfortable than the Ovation's rounded back.

Good luck with those strings!