1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for an octave course 8 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hey TB'ers

I've got a Dean Rhapsody 8 octave course bass that I love to play and hear, but here's the problem.

I normally use D'addarrio XL's on it (they actually make the 8 string set) but the highest g string is actually unwound, which really gives it a twangy kind of sound that kinda irks me. Does anyone know of a string manufacturer that makes a set for an octave course 8 string with all roundwound strings? I'd like to avoid throwing away the highest G right outta the box and replacing it with a custom gauge one (hard enough to find).

Thanks!

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Pretty much all the 8 string sets are packaged with a Plain Steel string up top...

Usually a .018p Plain Steel depending on the manufacturer...

The thinnest Wound string I have seen is a .020W which is usually used as a High-F on 7 string instruments. You can tune it up a whole step I suppose if you really wanted to. A .020W string is already a pretty weak string since the core needs to be so thin for the wrap wire...

You can always try it.

MTD makes a Nickel or Stainless Steel .020W string
    Ken Smith has a Stainless .020W string
    GHS Nickel Plated Steel (Boomer) .020W string

Not sure any others...

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ Yeah wound strings are right at their limit at 7-string F.

Conklin sell wound .020 and .022 designed for F Conklin Guitars Snakeskins Extended-Range Bass Strings you may have to tune DDGGCCFF for a full wound set.

Otherwise contact custom string maker Octave 4 Plus octave4plus.com i remember that Garry was attempting to make wound strings for above F, they will be expensive like $20 since thin wounds are labour intensive to make. I have one of their wound .018s, amazing string but i don't dare tune it up to F let alone G.

If all else fails, try a thinner plain, the lower tension and thinner gauge mellows and quietens the sound a bit to blend better with the wounds. You can use cheap plain guitar strings if you can find ones long enough (D'Aquisto might be and Rotosound certainly are for a 2+2 headstock), thread an old bass ball end onto one and slide it up against the guitar ball end. I recommend experimenting with cheap guitar plains from .017 down to .014, just keep decreasing the gauge and you might find something you can live with. Problem with a .020 is that, being a thick solid rod, it vibrates with a bizarre 'stiff' inharmonic tone, i don't use any plain larger than .016 for this reason.