1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for B-E-A-D Tuning on 4 striig

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I'm going to tune my ibanez srx300 to BEAD and was thinking of getting some Enie Ball Power Slinky's and disregarding the G string. I will sometimes drop the E to D on a few songs and have one where it will go to a C. For most of the lows, I'll use the B string but some just sound better (to me) with the open drop D. Any thoughts on this or string suggestions?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    whatever you choose, just be aware that you may need to modify the nut slot to accept the B string ... not a big deal, but just a heads up worth thinking about ... in case you decide to go back

3. jsteez

jsteez

Aug 21, 2011
    Instead of B E A D Why not tune A D A D? and you will need to modify the nut, just to clarify. I have done pretty much the exact same thing as you. I actually found that i enjoy tuning the 5 string minus the G into Drop C, giving my B string a nice tension. But i enjoyed this set up, and it gives much different options in lower territory.

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I used a set of 45-105 dr's to tune to BEAD, sounded very dark and Sabbath-y, if your into that...

5. +1
    I use DR's on a 5-string and like the sound of the low B.
    Keep in mind that along with adjusting the nut, you may have to adjust the bridge saddle to accommodate the B string, unless you buy "tapered".

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    B - .125 to .135
    E - .100 to .105
    A - .080 to .085
    D - .060 to .065

7. You can hit up Circle K's website, they do just about everything.

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I played several high profile shows with one of my basses tuned BEAD with a set of Heavy GHS Boomers. Worked Great!
    Standard Long Scale (Fits 34" Scale), Gauge: .050, .070, .095, .115

Shannon likes this.
  9. SenatorBob

SenatorBob

Jan 18, 2012
    Portland
    Wow just looked into those, seems like that would be a good way to go. I've been thinking about doing that with one of my basses

10. I was thinking about Circle K's as I've heard nothing but good things about them on here. I want a nice fat E string to be able to drop to D...thanks for the input!

Phishr likes this.
  11. Any suggestions on a circle K set with a .125 or .130 B string...guess I'd need a 5 string set and get rid of the G?

12. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I play in drop b (G#-B-F#-B-E-A) with a 6 string but I agree that buying Circle K strings is cheaper then disposing the string you don't need. I use .136 for my B string (the string actually tuned to b) but I personally would never go smaller then that bc it's just too floppy to play faster stuff on (I think circle K are the only ones who offer this size instead of .135).

13. rdwil191

rdwil191

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    I use rotosound dropzones .130-.65. sound good on an epi-bird. did have to file the nut notches. less than $30 shipped in. :bassist:

edit: it is tuned BEAD.

14. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    No need to discard a string and waste money they sell nickelplated roundwound 4 string sets for BEAD here Circle K Strings - Standard Balanced 4 Strings
    SInce you will be dropping the E to D and sometimes C i recommend this set:

.142 4 String 34 to 35 Scale Length Balanced
    .142 .106 .079 .059

The E will be a bit floppy when detuned to C but will be fine for D. This set will be medium tension in BEAD.

15. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Just curious...has anybody used the super thick Circle K's (like the .254) for a super low bass (I just though about a bass tuned at or below the lowest on the piano)

16. This should sound interesting. Stringing your bass for BEAD and tuning the E down to D (and sometimes C).

BDAD or BCAD would be very interesting to hear. Since I don't experiment with odd tunings (aside from on my six string) I would personally set my bass up for either ADGC or CGCF. That's just me, though!

Yes, I have a .210 so I can hit that Eb0.

17. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    The lowest standard piano note is A0, only 2 semitones below bass B, you only need a .142 for that (at extra-light tension). Skip of Circle K Strings is the luthier of the 39.5" scale Knuckle Guitar Works 'Quake' bass and at a previous NAMM had one tuned to G#00 (13 Hz) which is just over an octave lower than that. That's the G# of extended standard tuning G# C# F# B E A D G. The CKS .254 is for a medium tension C#0 or a light tension B00 2 semitones below (octave-down standard B) on a 34 / 35" scale.

18. I would only tune down to D for a song like The Beautiful People or something like that...normally it would stay BEAD except for a few occasions.

19. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    What about BEBE.

Or even ADAD.

20. Do they do flatwounds yet?:bassist: