Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings for bottesini

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by shwashwa, Feb 4, 2004.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i want a string to put on a bass that i'll only work on a bottesini concerto with, but in orchestral tuning... what string can do this? nice tone, no scratch, and be able to play very technical passages in high register and all over? thanks.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ

tried the corelli's and hated them... :( any other suggestions? (just arco, bottesini piece, so you know what that means!)

4. WHY did you hate them?

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the bass i had them on was fussy, and they were kind of scratchy with the bow, and had an unfocused sound. almost as if i were getting some feedback when i wasnt even plugged in. so i'm looking for a real deal classical string that i can play this highly technical stuff on. no hybrids.

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Original Flexocors?
    The A & E are thick and stiff, but the D & G are easy to play and sound great, so thumb position stuff shouldn't be a problem.
    They're probably the quintessential orchestral string.
    Other than that I'm thinking of Jargars, but they may be too stiff, unless you get the Dolce gauge.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Saw a guy crank out Bottesini in all its glory with Flexocores. You can try those if you want.

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, origional flexacore for the d and g. what about for the a and e? 92 flex? what's the difference between the sets? i notice you didnt mention helicore lights or permanents? how come?

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Permanents are much brighter than Flexocors (or originals), so I don't think they'd mix well.
    However a full set of Permanents could be a choice, if you can stand the tension and want a bright tone that projets well.
    The Flexocor 92's E&A could be a good match, indeed. They're lighter/livelier than their original Flex counterparts.
    However the 92's D&G are stiffer, darker-sounding and deader than their original Flex counterparts.
    I like Pirastro strings in general, but thay have a strange (in my opinion of course) way of designing sets, in terms of overall balance.

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ok, so flex origional for d and g may be a good match with flex 92 a and e? and you say that the permanents have high tension? they advertise that they are easily bowed and have largest degree of amplitude, which made me think they were soft. do the permanents scratch?

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yes.
    They also say the Chromcor are easy playing, but they're among the stiffest strings on the market, because they use a solid steel core.
    Don't believe all the ads.
    I don't know, I'm playing pizz only!
    Adrian Muller (Pirastro's technical manager) once told me they were designed in a 70% arco / 30% pizz usage profile, so I guess not, but I can't confirm, sorry.

12. Jargar Dolce's might work , thin , gut like sound (speaking from what I have heard only). Sound should be nothing like the Corellis. (which is , from what i can tell , what you want)

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    just an update... i put the corelli string mentioned in this thread on my good bass and they sound great. they're old now and alittle beat up from taking them on and off basses, so i'm thinking of getting a new set. i have the mediums. i feel that they bow extremely well and are a dream on the left hand. the thin diameter doesnt bother me, i actually like it. i think the g string may sound alittle thin pizz though. i'm thinking of going to the next gauge, the forte. i still want low tension and a good bowability and nice pizz tone and thinner diameter than say a weich. can anyone comment on how the forte's will compare to the mediums?