Strings for C-Standard Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lower-Than-Low, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Lower-Than-Low

Lower-Than-Low

Jun 7, 2006
    Canada!
    Hello!

It's been a while since I last posted, but anyways, here's what's up:

My band mates and I recently decided that we wanted to tune down another whole step from D-Standard to C-standard (Playing Traditional/Doom Metal along the lines of Black Sabbath and The Sword). While my sound and action/string tension were fine in D, both are suffering a fair bit now that I've tuned down to C.

I did a bit of reading and learned that heavier gauge strings should fix this up (ex: Getting a 5-string pack, using just the BEAD strings, and tuning up a half step). However, I don't know whether or not these strings will fit in the nut of my bass without filing, and what sort of effect this will have on the neck.

I've got a Warwick Corvette with the Just-A-Nut, which is why I'm hesitant to start filing the nut down and so forth. If it were my old Jazz, I'd just go to town and experiment (but that bass is on loan to a friend at the moment!)

To sum everything up:
    Does anyone have experience putting much heavier gauge strings on an unmodified Warwick neck/nut?
    And what else should I do in terms of set-up once I've changed up the strings?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems and GHS Strings
    I'm in the same boat. One of my bands just recently went from D to C. Flop city....

I just bought a Spector Euro 4LX 435 (35" scale 4 string). I setup with Blue Steels .50-.110 but am finding it still a little floppy. I am going to try a set of DR DDT (Drop Down Tuning) strings next, gauges .55-.115. I"m hoping that does the trick.

You may have to widen your nut. You could try the DR DDT strings since this is supposedly what they are made for and find out how they work.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    DDT's in 55-115 should do the trick...

Most other strings you would want at least .120 on the bottom... .060 .080 .100 .120 roughly depending on desired tension / feel etc...