1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for cello tuning... NOT an octave below cello

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pklima, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    What strings would you recommend for tuning CGDA with the same pitches as a violoncello? I know a standard G-string will work for the G, a heavy-gauge D for the C, but what then?

Background: I normally tune CGDA an octave below cello but I've been thinking that on my doubleneck it would be more useful to have the "second" neck tuned an octave higher than tuned EADG. I've made the switch to fifths tuning successfully enough that I can no longer play a fourths-tuned bass worth a crap.

2. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    Try this:

C = .070
    G = .045
    D = .025
    A = .015 (not too sure who does a wound .015 long enough)

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Thanks! Plain .015 will work. I suppose I'll be stuck with roundwounds for the rest as there's no way I'm getting a flatwound .025 that's the proper length... or is there?

4. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    It does look like roundwounds are the only way....turn your treble down and you'll be fine!

5. Or go a few octaves lower for a subcontra tuning. :)

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Actually, I've been talking with Skip of Knuckle Guitar Works about that very idea... but that's a whole another subject.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    The swedish D'addario dealer (which only sell this tiny strings here) has 018,020, 032 and 035. How should i do?

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    Zon do Michael Manring signature strings that are a real light gauge.

Dave